+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling Hook Officianados

AlanB Guest

They look a lot like the Oliver Edwards K14ST hook from Partridge. I don't think those are made now, but some are still around. That is another hook that looks like it will not hold up, but is surprising in its strength for its size. Though, as with all Partridge hooks, they tend to be large for the given size.
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Agreed 100%. The gear I prefer is high priced. I step into the water with $1k+ of gear and I'm going to save 5 cents by using cheap hooks???

Byron, nice looking hook. I sometimes prefer a short shank to achieve a larger gape in perspective. I use the TMC 921. MFC also makes a 1x short that I haven't tried yet. No answer to your question.
    Chewy,
    I agree!!! I normally use either Dai-Riki or Tiemco hooks or Daiichi or Gamatksu (sp?) or Kamazan(sp?). I would not call them cheap hooks.
    These Alec Jackson hooks are obviously good hooks. However, I prefer a longer shank hook for my soft hackles.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-20-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Byron,

I have been using both the Alec Jackson North Country and Soft Hackle hooks for some time now:

Scroll down here and see the complete selection:

http://www.hareline.com/hooks.html

The hackle on the above pattern is dyed starling which comes from White Fox Fur and Feather CO...it is available in a bunch of colors from Bob Marriott's:

http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto...ing-dyed-skins

I get mine from Bob Marriott's here in Los Angeles - they are a bit expensive but worth the price. Like it was previously mentioned, I also don't tie on crappy hooks.I am tying up a series of 18 different Midge patterns presently and will be using these Alec Jackson hooks for some of the ties:

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 04-20-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: link addition
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... what the perceived ( or actual ) advantages are with these Alec Jackson hooks ?? .....So I ask again - what are the perceived ( or actual ) advantages with these Alec Jackson hooks ??John
    It keeps Mr. Jackson happy.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... what the perceived ( or actual ) advantages are with these Alec Jackson hooks ??

Also, an observation - as in most things fly tying, it is a matter of scale.

The Johnson hooks shown cost $7.99 for 25. That's $.32 per hook.

Dai-Riki 125s are quite similar and are regularly available at $5.95 for 50. That's $.12 per hook.

The cost differential is probably similar across the entire line of hooks available from each of those manufacturers.

If you fish a little, the $.20 per hook difference doesn't add up to much.

But say you fish 125 days a year and go through an average of four flies per outing. That $.20 per hook difference would add up to $100 over the course of a year.

Over the course of four years, with those savings you could just about buy a brand new pair of top of the line waders - like the Simms Guide that run about $450 and should last about four years of 125 fishing days ( assuming you spend a fair number of days wet wading and not putting wear on the waders - but are still using up four flies a day ).

Fishing 140 days last year, mostly with flies tied on Dai-Riki or comparably priced hooks, I didn't lose a single fish ( out of well over 2,500 hooked ) because of a defective hook.

So I ask again - what are the perceived ( or actual ) advantages with these Alec Jackson hooks ??

John

John,
    That was my point!!
    I originally asked " why are they so expensive" as I didn't see a big difference except that they are quite light wire.......
    And, I don't cut corners on my hooks because of price!!!!
    I just wondered why they were comparatively so much more. I have NEVER had a problem with the other hooks I use. I took an inventory. I use Tiemco hooks, Partridge hooks, Gamakatsu, Daiichi, and Orvis hooks. I also have some Dai-Riki hooks.
    I certainly don't try to "cut corners" with my hooks. My original post simply asked why the Alec Jackson hooks command a premium. And, the 2 packages I purchased were their "soft hackle" hooks which I find too short in the shank for my preferences as I am trying to imitate insects in the #16 to #14 size range in a standard dry fly hook shank length - to the extent there IS a standard length. The Jackson hooks I purchased are size "13 and 15".
    I have fished soft hackles a great deal for many, many years. I try to tie mine in the length of the insect I am imitating.....................
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Byron,

These two links should help explain why these hooks are more expensive and the benefits of their use...

http://www.canadianllama.com/alec-jacksons-hooks

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2011...ody-materials/

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

The actual manufacturing cost is a most important a factor. To set up the machines to produce all the unique features has a finite cost.
    If these costs are for a short run of fewer hooks the cost per hook will obviously be more.
    If you want hooks that cost less you'll have to stay with the more popular ones.

Blog Entries

There is no way to get a truly perfect comparison as some retailers offer specials or undercut the price of other retailers. But, I thought I would look at the unit price of some of the hooks offered. I realize they are cheaper in quantity, but chose only the smallest pack count to determine unit retail cost.
    Now, I tried to select, as best I could, except for Alec Jackson's hooks, the standard dry fly type hook.
    I realize one of the reasons that Jackson's hook top this list is that they are a "specialty" design.

If anyone might be interested:

Price/Hook in Smallest Pack
    Alec Jackson Soft Hackle
    Gamakatsu S10-3F
    TMC 100
    Orvis Classic Dry Fly Hook
    Daiichi 1100
    Mustad R50
    Eagle Claw L059

Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-24-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Interesting chart. I tie most of my flies on mustads, mostly because the cost. I tie more flies that I can use, so tying is part of the hobby. I don't fish my 60 days a year anymore. But when I did, I seldom had problems with the hooks, they are sharp enough to go through my skin, then they are good enough to catch fish. There I might have bought over 10,000 hooks over the last 5 years or so. I can only recall 2 hooks malformed (in the 22 size) and a couple of brittle ones that broke at the vise. Everyone has his/her personal reason to select the hooks they desire. I have mine, and I don't think my reasons are any better or more worthy than any one else reasons.
    M
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

That one of the things I like about fly fishing - fly tying. Everybody gets to do it the way they want to.
    This is not exactly about hooks but I think touches on some similar arguments

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac100603.php

+ Reply to Thread