+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Hook Officianados

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Calling Hook Officianados

I recently purchased some Alec Jackson "Soft Hackle" hooks. They are a very nice light wire hook. However, quite expensive. I normally tie on regular standard Dai-Riki or TMC hooks, but I thought I would give them a try.

This particular one is packaged as a size #13. In my more "normal" hooks, I would call it a size #17 or so.

Anyone know:
    1. Why they are so expensive
    2. Why the hook appears so much smaller than the designation
    Is it because the gape is correctly designated, but the shank length is extra short??

Thanks,
    Byron

Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-19-2013 at 10:36 PM.

For a very reasonably priced and good looking hook why not try the Mustad 3366 or 3399? Same hook but former has straight eye. Both have sproat bend and are heavier wire then the hook you've mentioned. Of course if you're looking for a specific weight, bend, length and eye all on the same hook, then you'll be limited in choices and have to pay for those attributes.

Blog Entries

My questions remain

Wild guess

1. Alec Jackson's name on them? The silver finish?
    2. They are listed as 2X short. You said the gape is correct.

Blog Entries

John,
    How would I pay less than the asking price?
    Ever use these hooks?

Cheap is never good and good is never cheap! I think cost to make, or who decided that diamonds ,emeralds or rubes would cost what they do or gold was going to be more expensive than silver. I don't now!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    John,
    How would I pay less than the asking price?
    Ever use these hooks?
    I've seen the hooks you seek priced at $7.99/25 and $6.70/25. You'll have to do a search to find price differences. I believe Blue Ribbon had them for the $7.99 price but I don't recall which shop had them for the $6.70 price. To the 2nd question - No.

Blog Entries

I'm not seeking them. I have some and just used them.
    No good answer on why they are so expensive. I conclude it is because they are "specialty" hooks fron sort of a niche supplier. They seem like very nice hooks for soft hackles, but will probably not buy more.

Default Quality hooks

Byron,

I have been a dealer for Daiichi hooks for many years. I think all of Alex's hooks are made by Daiichi.
    At least they are all listed in my Dealers catalog and I have purchased and sold a lot of them.
    I have used Daiichi brand hooks only for many years for my personal tying & fishing. I consider them the best on the market. I got fed up with cheap hooks many years ago.
    I do have a hard time with those that fish with high priced equipment and want to cut corners on the prices of materials & hooks for tying our flies. I can understand if one is on a limited budget and the need to save $$ because Fly fishin is recreation? The last place I would cut corners is in my hooks.

Since my Full retirement I no longer stock and sell hooks. So the above is not an advertisement for Daiichi hooks. Just calling it like I see it.

Denny
    Denny

I do have a hard time with those that fish with high priced equipment and want to cut corners on the prices of materials & hooks for tying our flies.
    Agreed 100%. The gear I prefer is high priced. I step into the water with $1k+ of gear and I'm going to save 5 cents by using cheap hooks???

Byron, nice looking hook. I sometimes prefer a short shank to achieve a larger gape in perspective. I use the TMC 921. MFC also makes a 1x short that I haven't tried yet. No answer to your question.

+ Reply to Thread