+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanago question

Hybrid View

Default Tanago question

There seems to be few folks who know a little about tanago so I have a quick question. what do y'all use for bait? what can I use for bait that I might already have? I was thinking bread or maybe dig some worms? Just curious, thanks ahead of time.

HOSSCOOPER,

I am not familiar with that species of fish, but, a little research tells me that they could be a distant relative of what we call "shiners" or "shad" and some of these are not "meat eaters". If I was in your "shoes" I guess I would try some of the Berkley Power baits or some size 20 soft hackles or midges if you are fly fishing.

Sorry I could not be of more help, but, I am not familiar with this species of fish and the above is only a suggestion.

Welcome to FAOL from Tennessee.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

First, the term "tanago" is used here pretty loosely. The very small hooks and very short rods are used in Japan to fish for several species of small fish known as "tanago." They are thus tanago hooks and tanago rods, but here in the US it is not "tanago fishing" - which is like "bass fishing" (fishing for bass) or "shark fishing" (fishing for sharks). There are no tanago in the US. Tanago rods and tanago hooks are used here for microfishing (fishing for any small fish, or more precisely, species that do not reach one pound in weight).

Regarding bait, most people seem to use the smallest speck of worm. Some use the smallest speck of Berkley Gulp. I've used the minnow bait that comes in tubes successfully for some species, and others don't give it a second look. I've heard of several people who use small bread balls for shiners. I have also caught shiners on size 26 flies.
    Tenkara Bum

HOSSCOOPER,

If you get into this with small regular hooks and want to get into smaller mouth fish, check out the the tanago hooks that Chris has on his site. They have a shape that presents the hook point with not much shank and this may allow easier hook ups and more fish per one hook baiting. If you do, talk to Chris, these hooks can come with an eye or without.

On bait, you might try some you tube videos, I saw one or two that showed the Japanese mixing up a paste bait. I sure if you can get a base bait you can experiment by adding extras stuff. First time I went out for 'gills I used cheese, but then bulegills will also go for bubble gum...once.

Dennis

Well here are some of the results of y'alls help.
    Last edited by HOSSCOOPER; 04-20-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: adding stuff, and making sure it works

Man that looks like success to me!

Dennis

+ Reply to Thread