+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Tenkara Line Review

I hope my self censorship serves as an additional apology. I was only concerned about hype and excess profiteering creeping into Tenkara like it has progressively in my 40 year involvement in the western ff industry. My gruff remarks were not particularly constructive. Sorry I am so reactionary. Almost everyone involved in bringing T products to the US is in it for the love of the game - Jason and Chris for sure. I will keep my mouth shut and just fish. Better for you all and better for me. Thanks for your time.

Danny,

I hope to read of your Tenkara experiences and exploits in the future. I believe that nearly everyone on this board wants to be inclusive. Fixed line fly fishing is a great sport for everyone who wants to take part in it. Please, continue to share your observations with us now and on into the future....Golden.

Danny,

No need to apologize. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just disagreed with your opinion and stated why. I will echo Golden's sentiments, and hope to read more of your comments in the future.

I and four my friends fished with titanium line for the season before placing this product to the market.
    The results and conclusions are the following:
    1. No one rod had been damaged by the line.
    2. No one finger had been wounded by the line also .
    3. This line is definitely not for the beginners.
    4. This line cannot be used without high visible extender.
    5. This line is suitable for overhead casts only.
    6. This line has two niches: windy conditions and lake fishing with fluorocarbon sinking extender.
    In any other cases fluorocarbon level line is preferable. Nevertheless I always have titanium line when go fishing and it saves the fishing day sometimes.
    The product is totally new and I would like to get any feedback from users.
    With the best
    Oleg Stryapunin
    Small stream junkei and tenkara apologist, write for http://www.tenkaratimes.com

CZ,

Thank you for a most informative post. The information you presented will help a lot of T-anglers here make up their minds on whether or not they want to try a Ti Line. I know it has helped me a lot. Tight lines....Golden.

The combo of titanium line and hi-vis extender is pretty clearly intended for stream fishing.

It is only a fast sinking line if you don't hold it off the water's surface. The titanium line is much denser than fluorocarbon, but that allows you to use a much thinner line (which creates a virtuous circle, allowing you to overcome wind resistance more easily). The titanium line I have has the diameter of 3X tippet material. It has sufficient weight to cast but should not be so heavy that you can't keep it off the water.

Watch some of the videos on tenkara.com. He uses titanium line and is able to keep his line in bank eddies on the other side of current tongues for a truly surprisingly long time - which would not be possible if his line was sinking.

For still water anglers fishing longer lines, I do not see a point to using a hi-vis extender. You can't keep a long line off still water, and a titanium line is not going to float. As you say, a hi-vis extender is no longer hi vis when it is under water 20' away.

If you wanted to fish deep in still water, and you had a rod that was stiff enough to pull the line back out of the water to make your next cast, it might work very well. Other than that, I don't see an application for titanium lines in still water.

I do not know for sure if this is one of the videos Chris spoke of, but it is interesting and impressive, both from the standpoint of what it took to get into the stream and the fishing itself. I watched part of two films and decided to put the link for this one up because, although he rates it as second best, there are English text comments included in it. Chris is right, that line is just about impossible to see, I couldn't even tell if there was a HiVis sighter on the line. And the rod appears to be much too powerful for the size of the fish he is catching. He uses a unique release net in the #1 rated film, which is much kinder and gentler to the fish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJHq...A727CA&index=2
    Last edited by Golden; 04-23-2013 at 10:00 PM.

I had not seen that video and it really doesn't show what I had mentioned. That video was edited to the point that almost every cast in the video results in a fish almost immediately. In some of his other videos (probably not in his 'best of...' series) he shows casts that don't yield fish, and some that do after a surprisingly long time in a bank eddy that looks to be not much bigger than a wash basin. How he is able to hold his line in one spot like that (which again isn't really shown in the video Golden linked to) is what first got me interested in his titanium lines.

He does use a hi-vis sighter, but it is very thin (Japanese line size 1.2, equivalent to 4X tippet). I had some at one time and it is so thin that it, too, is hard to see even though it is a fluorescent yellow. On his website, he says that you should endeavor to watch the fly rather than the line. It would help to fish in gin clear water like he does. The waters I fish are all downstream of homeowners who like nice, green lawns, and the fertilizer runoff has caused the water to have quite a bit of algae growth. Seeing a wet fly is impossible.

I may have to try a titanium line again. Jason's post has raised some interest in it, and I have gotten a few questions about it. One of my suppliers does carry it so I may also.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Arnold View Post
    [/LIST]..Can a "high visibility extender" attached to a fast-sinking line significantly help an angler to know what is going on with the the fly, especially when attached to a low-vis line like titanium?...
    Paul is absolutely right, that's why I wrote "fluorocarbon sinking extender", not "high visible fluorocarbon sinking extender" when mentioned the use of this line to fish deep in still waters.
    In any other cases it is possible to hold the line off the surface and high visible extender is useful.
    With the best
    Oleg
    Small stream junkei and tenkara apologist, write for http://www.tenkaratimes.com

I told the gentleman that got me into Tenkara today about the Tline. He has not heard of it, but will be checking into this report as it has interest as well.
    Thanks guys.

+ Reply to Thread