+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why hardwood?

Default Why hardwood?

As I prepare to start on my rod, I've thought about the reel seat a lot. I'm going to turn my own, and I'm going to try to find a nice piece of pecan to do it. I can't help wondering, however, why all the books insist on hardwood. I know that some hardwoods are more stable than softwoods, but any wood, properly finished should serve fine. So why not cedar, or cypress, or even heart pine?

Swamp

Hardwood is pretty!

------------------
    Don

So is cedar, cypress, and heart pine!

I wouldn't use any of the woods you mentioned simply because they are so soft. For me, they would dent too easily which would ruin an impermeable type finish(polyurethane, etc.). Using something like tung oil would allow the would to be damaged without affecting the treating of the wood since it soaks in, but since I don't baby my gear, I prefer something that's more durable to begin with.

All those woods are beautiful though!
    Charlie

I'd bet it is because "hard" wood is more difficult to dent, tear, damage. It's very difficult to ding a piece of Rock maple or Walnut. Tight grained woods tend to more split resistant also.

You can make seats from Cedar but they are not likely to be as durable.

swamp rat,,one thing i learned about rod building is try it yourself,,turn a few and test them,i have found that what others found didn't work for them works great for me.thread, nylon or silk, other thread work as well,glue - G glue works great for me ..wood handles are not slippery if the correct finish is used..a open mind is a learning mind

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Some light rods have reel seat made of cork, if that can hold up to use I don't see why some of the denser soft woods wouldn't work.

bubba orvis, while it may be hard to ding up a walnut reelseat it's not impossible. I took a pretty nast tumble on the san juan one night last summer and tore out a nice sized gouge on my venerri walnut reelseat. I was a bit disappointed at the time, but I've grown to appreciate it over time as a battle wound or scar. the rod, btw was a 2/3wt 8' gatti. it didn't blow up on me nor did I have any problems landing several hot fish (I just had to mention that for all those out there who think you can't land large fish on light tackle).

mgj

Any wood will "work," for me the question is more of what will "last." For some people the question may be more of "what looks the best?"

Cork works well because it is not only light, but is difficult to dent. Try this - polish off a bottle of your favorite wine and hit the cork with a hammer...don't hit it square, but use more of the edge of the face. Now go do the same thing on a piece of trim next to a door in your house - I'd be willing to bet that there's a considerable difference in what you see.

Try the softwood and see. If you could get some salvaged wood - say some heart pine from an old wood floor, that tends to be relatively hard - and REALLY beautiful. I'd like to see what you come up with - can you post some pics for us?

Charlie

Use what ever you wish. I have a fine old Leonard that is older than dirt and the reelseat is western cedar. Used primarily because it is a light wood. I have seen reel seats made from everything from african ironwood to loblolly pine.....and as one local rodmaker put it, building your own rod is like painting a picture and it is really a piece of art of your expression....and if you can fish with it and are proud of it, who cares what it is made of!

+ Reply to Thread