+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Up - Down: Which Way

Hybrid View

Default Up - Down: Which Way

It appears that all the rod makers and even the rod seat makers are pushing 'Up Locking' seats versus 'Down Locking' seats. Just out of curiosity, which do you favor and why? My preference is the 'D L' because it feels more comfortable then an 'U L' and because, and this might just be me, occassionally when I cast with an 'U L' reel seat, the line gets wrapped between the butt and reel seat. Yes, I know that with an 'U L' seat, the reel is a little further off of the ground and dirt. I don't think that's a good enough reason to compensate for the reasons I don't like it though. Just M.O. What's yours?

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    It appears that all the rod makers and even the rod seat makers are pushing 'Up Locking' seats versus 'Down Locking' seats. Just out of curiosity, which do you favor and why? My preference is the 'D L' because it feels more comfortable then an 'U L' and because, and this might just be me, occassionally when I cast with an 'U L' reel seat, the line gets wrapped between the butt and reel seat. Yes, I know that with an 'U L' seat, the reel is a little further off of the ground and dirt. I don't think that's a good enough reason to compensate for the reasons I don't like it though. Just M.O. What's yours?

Allan
    Down locking. For the reasons you have stated and I just like it better. I think maybe for balance....can't really say for sure.
    Would like to hear more comprehensive thoughts.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I can change up. For a longer, light weight rod I will ONLY go down locking - mostly for the balance (Now we can get into the balance argument again ). For a shorter rod, a bit heavier for it's length I will go for the Up Locking as it does keep the reel off the ground and shorter rods are easier to balance properly.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Just choose whatever one you like. Because to be honest the difference is nil when it comes to one being better/balance better etc etc. So pick which ever you like best. My choice, uplocking. Mainly just because there are more choices in hardware to pick from more than any other reason. There's a few other reason I like UL seats but none that warrant even mentioning.

I like the looks of a down locker on small rods or very light rods. But it doesn't really make any functional difference. The balance may change a little bit....but that amount of change will be determined by the distance the reel has been moved and by the weight of the reel itself.

Like Steve (MWCFR) said, pick what you like. That will far outweigh any of those other miniscule factors. And Steve is right about there being a lot more choices for uplockers than downlockers. Downlockers used to be the norm, but they have kind of fallen to the wayside and uplockers are now much more prevalent.

Steve,

In one sense, when you say, "So pick which ever you like best", you're perfectly correct. However, then you wrote that, "My choice, uplocking. Mainly just because there are more choices in hardware to pick from." Now that too is correct and therein lies the problem for those of us who want to build a rod and prefer the D.L. seat. There are simply very few choices available to us. Seats are almost exclusively designed for U.L. Not only that but manufactured rods are similarly almost exclusively U.L.
    I don't think the lack of choice really effects our buying volume though.

+ Reply to Thread