+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New River Gorge State Park

Hybrid View

Default New River Gorge State Park

Already planning a trip for next year possibly to the New River Gorge in West Virginia. Anyone know anything of the fishing opportunities in the area? I've read it's a smallmouth bass river. Is there any trout fishing near the New River Gorge State Park?
    Thanks

Blog Entries

lastchance, I am not from the area. I mostly fish for trout, but I also really enjoy catching Smallmouth Bass. They can really be a blast. Give them a try. Larry ---sagefisher---

Well, not far from there is a small creek that has had some attention from TU, etc, over the past years to restore it to trout habitat. That is coal country and it has been rough on the drainage.

They have been successful - I was there a year ago and although I got skunked (not uncommon for me) I could see the trout and they were healthy. It could be interesting to scoot over there and give it a shot.

Because my best friend in High School (Class of 1967) in Ohio had deep ties to West Virginia, I did a short video as a memorial to him of that stream.

Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVn5unLXNRI

I"v fished the New River mostly on the upper end at Hinton below the dam and down from there ... Great small mouth fishing... be very careful wading it< the indians used to call it the river of death, (check it out), the river runs backwards, so its not like other waters, because of the water flow it cuts under rocks instead of over them. you will notice when wading it, your feet will get swept under rocks much more often then your feet being swept up and out from under you. so if you fall and get waders full you can get swept under a rock.." read up on the history of the river", its very cool. Very awesome waters to fish !
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

K7zb - nice video tribute for your friend. I'm also from the class of '67.

+ Reply to Thread