+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide Spacing for 5' 4" flyrod

Default Guide Spacing for 5' 4" flyrod

I know I'm going to have to do some testing and moving guides so I can get an even bend with the line. However, I'm just wondering if any of you has a 'general' starting points for spacing the guides?

Thanks.

Allan

A good starting point would be 6 guides spaced at ...

4 1/2
    9 7/16
    14 7/8
    20 3/4
    27 1/8

That should at least get you in the ballpark.

Steve

I do have a factory made 5'3" Fenwick. I could measure them for you

Steve and Goddess,

Thanks and Yes! I'd appreciate that information. Like I mentiond I'm just looking for a starting point. This actually started off as a 3 piece blank I've had for about 4 years. I recently pulled it out thinking to build it but I noticed the butt section didn't fit the middle section. Not even sure who I got the blank from at this point. Anyway, decided to build the middle and top as a small rod. I've got the hardware. In fact I just ordered a more delicat handle. All cork handle and reel seat with sliding rings.
    Well, thanks again.

Allan

Keep in mind, this is a glass rod, two piece. from the tip top, 4 15/16" to center of guide, from tip top to #2 - 10 13/16", from tip top to #3 - 17 1/2" from tip top to guide #4 - 26 5/8" from tip top to #5 - 37 7/8" (stripping guide). Good luck and pictures please. Oh and this Fenwick has a cork reel seat, down locking.

Thanks Steve and Goddess. In part because of a lack of artistic aptitude and patience, I fall into the functional and simplistic camp more then artsy and detail driven. I'm also kinda slow about building rods. So it will take me some time to get this done and get back especially with pictures. But I will. The blank is a very deep blue/green. I'm using black guides and the one piece grip/seat is cork.
    Question: What color thread would you use? Black, green, red(turns to a deep burgandy) or something else? As I wrote, I KISS with the rods I've built, except for a jungle cock feather opposite the hook holder.

Thanks again.

Allan

The blank is a very deep blue/green. I'm using black guides and the one piece grip/seat is cork.
    Question: What color thread would you use? Black, green, red(turns to a deep burgandy) or something else? As I wrote, I KISS with the rods I've built, except for a jungle cock feather opposite the hook holder.
    If the blank is a blue/greenish color I would stay away from most red/burgundy threads. Normally a redish color on a blue/green blank ends up clashing at worst, or looking like a Christmas rod at best. Try to stay more in the blue family with something like Prowrap Dark Blue, or Gudebrod Royal Blue. If you like things simple then don't rule out black either. I know Black doesn't sound very exciting, but done with a nice thin metallic trim band it can look very classy if done right.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Leaning towards black or green. W/O color preserver, the green gets very dark and looks good. Also, I built a few rods with black thread for the same color blank and like the results. Simple yet classy. Very similar look as the Loomis GLX. I might try to see if I can do a trim w/o messing it up, lol. Thanks for comments.

Allan

The dark blue dun is also an excellent choice if you want it to blend with the rod.

That sounds great!

+ Reply to Thread