+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage One 10ft 4 wt?

Hybrid View

Default Sage One 10ft 4 wt?

Anyone fish a Sage One 4 wt in the 10 ft model? I cast one Saturday and liked it. Am considering it for a future summer purchase. I already have 9 ft 4 and 5 wt rods.

If so what kind of reel do you have on it and does it balance it OK?
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I fished it last year on the Delaware. Was a great rod nymphing rod, although wayyy too expensive for a specialty rod like that. I've actually been eyeing the allen xa rod.
    The owner (my guide) paired the rod with an orvis (I forgot which one). It paired nicely, but it was not the usual reel for that rod as I am a lefty.

Most (90%) of my Trout fishing is nymphing really. Strike indicators and such. Occasionally some dries and soft hackles.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

If you are going to use it for Euronymphing, try the ESN 11 ft 3 wt.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish View Post
    I fished it last year on the Delaware. Was a great rod nymphing rod, although wayyy too expensive for a specialty rod like that. I've actually been eyeing the allen xa rod.
    The owner (my guide) paired the rod with an orvis (I forgot which one). It paired nicely, but it was not the usual reel for that rod as I am a lefty.

Check out the new Allen "Icon" 10' 4 weight. Made here in the USA in fact right up in Heber Utah

I bought a 10' 4wt TFO BVK a few months ago and really like it. I thought it would be a specialty rod, but I'm using it on many more stream conditions than I originally expected. I shopped around a bit for a long nymph fishing rod and ran into a couple of dead ends before buying the BVK. I'd watch out for rods that are too heavy or too tip heavy. Also watch out for rods that really soft into the mid-section.

I haven't cast a Sage One, but I suspect you'll like it. It sounds like it's light and fast action which is what I wanted. But it was too expensive for me, so I opt'ed for the TFO BVK (which is almost as light and fast). I use a Lamson Velocity 1.5 on my 10' BVK.

I read on another forum the BVK breaks ....frequently for lack of a better word. I take it this has not happened to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I read on another forum the BVK breaks ....frequently for lack of a better word. I take it this has not happened to you?
    Not yet anyway. I've fished it 20 days or so over the last few months without any problems and it does have a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Check out the new Allen "Icon" 10' 4 weight. Made here in the USA in fact right up in Heber Utah
    That is exactly the one I was looking at. I never bought any Allen gear but I am hearing good things and their people are insanely helpful.

I got mine a week ago and the cork is already dirty...LOL it is so nice, and purdy. I use the Green Trout on it.
    As far as TFO warranty, it is a no question asked. I have one that has broke three times in the exact same spot. I have many rods and this is the only one I have broke, but not the most used. It was $30.00 each break...not a low priced rod any more. But the BVK is a light stick. I use the Icon for every thing. I can't imagine a stiff rod when fishing tiny flies which I do with my four, but it also has no worries casting Articulated flies either. Only fast rod I have is a 6 for big flies and wind.

+ Reply to Thread