+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Level Furled Line

Hybrid View

Default Level Furled Line

I have wanted to try something new with furled line since trying out the Sempai Line. Everyone always makes furled leaders tapered. I wondered how a level furled line would work. After meeting Kaboom1 at a couple fly show and talking about lines he made a couple level furls for me to try. I was not sure what to expect so I kept an open mind while trying these out. The first set he sent me I had trouble getting the end of the line and tippet to lay out. But the second set he sent me I had no problem at all.

While test casting they felt good on all my Tenkara Rods. Unfortunately, I broke my Nissin Prosquare before being able to fish these line. I was able to fish these using my TUSA Amago. These lines will make some good warm water tenkara lines. I was able to cast small panfish poppers in size 10 down to size 20 midges with no problems. Also tossed a few of my size 18 mini murdich minnow streamers. They are also highly visible lines. As with most furled lines, wind will effect these lines. They are also just a little harder to hold all the line off the water.

I am sure you could treat these lines with floatant or a sink aid to help achieve the fishing depth you like. With out any treatment, these lines will absorbs some water and sink. Although, they do not absorb a ton of water making casting them a problem. If your looking to try out a new line and can keep an open mind you should consider giving these furled level lines a try.

Mike P.

I thought the idea behind Tenkara was to "keep" the line off the water. Interesting idea, I will have to give it a try, but I do see it as being more work than needed.

When warm water tenkara fishing, it is not critical to keep the line off the water. If fishing streams for trout then you may need to keep the line off the water if your goal is a dead free drift. If your swinging flies for trout not to much off a need. Since I mostly fish lakes or ponds, I have no need for drag free drifts or keeping the line of the water. Plus, Bluegill find it real hard to resist sipping in a slow sinking critter of all sorts. Twitch the fly and watch it drop. Hard for them to resist.

Mike, level furled lines work just fine.
    Tenkara Bum

+ Reply to Thread