+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Lakes Steelhead Advice (North Shore Lake Superior)

Default Great Lakes Steelhead Advice (North Shore Lake Superior)

A friend and I are heading up there Mothersday weekend. I've fished the Brule river in Wisconsin quite a few times but never the north shore. My questions are as follows.

We will probably be slinky rig fishing a few spots and indicator others. I understand indicator fishing quite well but the slinky rig fishing I've only done once. and very little at that. I'm wondering what people use for line while slinky rig fishing. I know some folks use mono and some use a shooting line. I don't have a shooting line but I could possibly get one. My other thought is if really the point of the fly line isn't to cast like a fly line but more chuck and duck couldn't I just use any old simple weight forward line. I'm thinking I have a 5 wt line that really isn't that tapered. What if I put that on my slinky rod? Or would straight mono be better (if so what would your recommend?)

Last question. What size tippet should we bring?

Thanks!

Arkman,

Most years I would say you would be too late by Mothers Day, this year there could still be fish here or there. Try near Grand Marais. Maybe get a coaster around the mouth of the Flute Reed (C&R, please).
    Slinky fishing is more of a bait technique and really better suited to a spinning rod or center pin.
    Rubber legs stone patterns and streamers that immatate smelt can get you a few fish in the lake by the river mouths.
    Check in with Great Lakes Fly Shop in Duluth or the Superior Fly Angler in Superior for local patterns and good advise/ conversation.
    Tight lines
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread