+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For what use ?

Hybrid View

Question For what use ?

I recently bought a couple Chinese hen saddles because they were nicely mottled with fine stems. Now I find that they are just too large for the size soft hackles I want to tie. Can anyone suggest other uses?

Beck's Super Bugger; I tie the body with 2 or 3 hen saddles.

Regards,
    Scott

You can use them for dry fly wings, or use a tying technique that allows you to use larger feathers for smaller flies. Or use the necks for throats on salmon flies, or tails on wets.

The following is step one for 90% of the soft hackles I tie (And I tie over a thousand a year for sale) after starting the thread. I very seldom wrap soft hackles now unless they're genetic hen, and I much more commonly use game bird or India hen feathers:

--Strip some barbs, keeping the tips even. Tie in just behind the eye, facing forward. Spin the barbs around the hook using moderate thread tension and 2 wraps. Spread using fingers if necessary. Tighten thread.

Tie the rest of the fly as desired, then throw a whip finish ahead of the barbs to stand them up.

AlanB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
    The following is step one for 90% of the soft hackles I tie (And I tie over a thousand a year for sale) after starting the thread. I very seldom wrap soft hackles now unless they're genetic hen, and I much more commonly use game bird or India hen feathers:

--Strip some barbs, keeping the tips even. Tie in just behind the eye, facing forward. Spin the barbs around the hook using moderate thread tension and 2 wraps. Spread using fingers if necessary. Tighten thread.

Tie the rest of the fly as desired, then throw a whip finish ahead of the barbs to stand them up.
    Exactly what I'd do with them.

Cheers,
    C.

Those are good tips... I do have a lot of large feathers that I have no use for. Now I know what to do with them!
    M
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Tyer View Post
    use a tying technique that allows you to use larger feathers for smaller flies.
    Wally has a good video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-dfsN0ZPkc

Craig Mathews, too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-jWkKpbLNU

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread