Thread: Anyone use Stren Gold for Sighters?

Threaded View

I've tried both and Stren Gold is definitely less visible than Amensia. I have George's book and really like it. I think the key with many of the methods in his book is to fish a short line and lift line and much of the leader off the water. For me, this method doesn't work when I throw more than 25' of line (including my leader). For longer line nymphing, I believe George recommends a "suspender" of some kind or a curly Q indicator.

For short line nymphing, I use a yellow Amensia leader butt, but there are a couple tricks I found that help with visibility ...

Backing sighters. You can get these at Feather-craft among other places. Get one of the barred ones and add it to your leader before your tippet. I use a yellow Amensia butt section with barred yellow / black backing sighter. The barring adds lot of contrast and visibility.

Contrast tubing. I got some bright orange plastic tubing at HobbyLobby in the beading section ("S'getti Craft Lacing"). I cut short (maybe 1/2") sections and add them to my yellow Amnesia leader butt. These also provide contrast and improved visibility.

If you really want to get into the Euro nymphing techniques, I'd suggest visiting the TroutLegend forum.
    Last edited by johnstoeckel; 04-11-2013 at 03:16 PM.