Thread: Rigs Floating T-Line VS Blue Ribbon Flies 000 Double Taper Floating T-Lines

Threaded View

FLOATING T-LINES LEADER UPDATE: I felt that the 14 Lb. Nylon Mono I used on my first try with the Blue Ribbon Flies 000 Tapered Floating Fly Line was not casting as well as I thought it should, and I wanted to stay with Nylon Mono in the butt sections of the leader because it does not sink as fast as Fluorocarbon line does. So I picked up a spool of Stren 10 Lb. test, HiVis Gold Nylon Mono, 0.012" in diameter, to tie my floating T-line leaders with. On the Rigs Floating HiVis 12 foot long Tenkara Line that I bought, it is rated as a size #3.5 T-line, meaning that the HiVis section is some kind of a bright red size #3.5 Mono Tenkara line. The floating line should test out at about 20 Lb. test, so I decided to stay as close to the same butt section diameter as I could with the Floating BRF 000 Tapered T-line, as what Rigs is using because both floating lines measured out at 0.024 inches where the leader is tied on to them. I also redid the Rigs Floating T-line leader as well, with the exception that I left the factory HiVis butt section in tact on the Rigs line, which was 24 + inches long. On the BRF Floating 000 Tapered Line I used a butt section of 12 Lb. test HiVis Chartreuse Amnesia that is no longer being made, which is 0.013" in diameter. Here is how these two leaders tied up:

Butt to floating line section, size 3.5 T-line Red Nylon Mono, 0.0125" in DIA. 12 Lb. test, or 12 Lb. test Amnesia Nylon Mono, 0.013" DIA.... 24 inches long.

#2 Butt section, 10 Lb. test Stren HiVis Gold Nylon Mono, 0.012" in DIA............................................... .............................................. 18 inches long.

#1 Transition section, 8 Lb. test Cabela's 100% FC Premium Fishing Line, 0.009" in DIA............................................... ........................ 12 inches long.

#2 Transition section, 6 Lb. test Cabela's 100% FC Premium Fishing Line, 0.008" in DIA............................................... .......................... 9 inches long, including the tippet connecting loop.

Tippet, Orvis Mirage FC tippet material, size 5X, 5 Lb. test, 0.006" in DIA............................................... ............................................. 36 to 48 inches in length, including the tippet attachment loop.

Total leader length less the tippet............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ... 5 feet 3 inches, with tippet, 8 to 9 feet or a little more is added to the line's length.

Casting with these line and leader combinations was straight forward and very similar. However the Rigs Floating T-line is noticeably more supple than the BRF 000 Tapered Floating T-Line is. Of course the Rigs Floating T-line has been through a season of fishing, and with an equal amount of use the BRF Floating T-line may become more supple as well. Only time and fishing will tell.
    Last edited by Golden; 04-21-2013 at 07:52 PM.