Sport fishing column for April 8 to 15, 2013

"One ancient angler was dozing, glass in hand, in a deep chair before a huge fire in a huge fireplace. Ed suggested he might be thawing out after a morning in the steam? We? took a little warmth ourselves while sorting out rods and gear to go out after lunch?

We fished the Home pool, the Twin Rocks and one or two other attractive pools? then came to the dam in a minor blizzard?

I worked very with snow on my face and my eyes half closed to it; but it was not the time and we went back to the clubhouse fishless? The ancient angler still slept in his chair, the fire still glowed and we needed warmth." This passage was taken from Roderick Haig-Brown's, Fisherman's Summer.

The season opener; be it ice-off or an official opening, it is an event many anglers look forward to each year. How far back do your memories of these events go?

Mine go back to the May long weekend in 1972, when I got to go along with the Chehalis Bowmen on their annual club fishing trip to Pinaus Lake. At thirteen years of age, a tried and true fish camp was a wonder to behold. It was also my first experience with fly fishing. There are other fond memories too; like the time I was invited to go along with the well know Hicks clan on their annual trip to Hicks Lake. Little did I know that three weeks after I fished and fellowshipped with the Hicks family patriarch, Frank; he would pass away. Then there was the time we did the father and son fishing weekend with my Dad's church. Three generation of my family were there; my Dad, myself, and my daughter; priceless.

What memories are you going to make for your children, grandchildren, nieces, or nephews this year? Whatever they may be they will be remembered for generations to come.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is fair to good. Try working warming waters in the north east section of you favorite lake for better success. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Nations Black, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Pumpkin Head, Big Black, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Double Hackled Peacock, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, or Elk Hair Caddis.

Our lower Mainland bass and panfish are waking up too. For Bass try: Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Gomphus Bug, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefties Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, or Bucktail. For Panfish try smaller (size 12 to 16) versions of the above.

The Fraser River is fair for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat Try: Alevin, Eggo, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Anderson Stone, Black Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Flesh Fly, or Chez Nymph. For dolly varden try large (size #4 to 2) Eggo, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Tied Down Minnow, Roller Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Kaufmann Stone, or Flesh Fly.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and rainbow. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, or Renegade.

The Vedder River is fair to good for steelhead, rainbow, dolly varden, and cutthroat. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, or Flat Black.