+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One of those days

Default One of those days

Elvis had a song, not one of his biggest hits "You Ever Have One of Those Days." You know those days where nothing really seems to want to go the way you want it to go? Yesterday afternoon was that way. My new fishing buddy / neighbor, who told me at he could go fishing in the afternoon, calls after I have packed my spare float tube and waders for him to tell me he has to go fix a problem with a customer?s computer system. I should have known better than to get an IT guy for a fishing buddy. I get to the lake, two high school kids have left their pickup blocking the improvised ramp, no big deal, although I think their parents should teach them a little simple etiquette at the ramp. I?m using a pontoon so I carry it a little further. Rods, oars, everything on the boat, waders on I sit on a stump to put my fins on. The strap on one fin breaks, I look in my pontoon pockets, in my pickup. I always have cord with me, but no cord. I look around; someone has left an aluminum window screen frame on the bank (failed science project seining with a window screen?) I pull out enough plastic spline tied my fin on. It worked, redneck engineering triumphs again.

Let the catching begin, using two rods I have never used before, a cheap 9 ft. 5 wt. and a 7?6? 4 wt. I caught some monsters, maples, birches, I was high and wild. Finally, I got settled down and caught some fish, four yearling bass and several middling bluegills. Largest fish was a beautifully colored pound and a half largemouth on the 4 wt. Several LDR?s, one a good headshaker, maybe a catfish? All in all it was a good afternoon fishing until my right shoulder start complaining, don?t know if that was the 9 footer giving me misery or early seasons out of shape issues.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Elvis had a song, not one of his biggest hits "You Ever Have One of Those Days." You know those days where nothing really seems to want to go the way you want it to go? Yesterday afternoon was that way. My new fishing buddy / neighbor, who told me at he could go fishing in the afternoon, calls after I have packed my spare float tube and waders for him to tell me he has to go fix a problem with a customer?s computer system. I should have known better than to get an IT guy for a fishing buddy.
    Yep. IT people are the worst.

Ed

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Trust me, been there, done that. It's really one of the reasons why I tend to carry so much gear in my van. Never know what exactly is going to work, or for that matter, what kind of fish I'm going to be targeting/catching. Plans can change in a heartbeat.

Using a kayak is really interesting; I can't take a bunch of gear with me, so I have to stock my boxes with stuff I know works, and employ tactics that I know will produce. Otherwise, I just end up paddling around looking at the sights.

Any day fishing is good.
    Mike

This weekend is shaping up for the bream to be up in the shallow water. I will try once again to get my neighbor, the IT guy, out on the water. He has a new TFO 5 wt. outfit his bought a month or so back but has never caught a fish on a flyrod. He approached me late last summer and ask me to help him learn to flyfish. He was obviously desperate.

At least you were fishing. Good luck on the weekend. mixed freezing rain and sleet with possible snow forecast here (doesn't that make you feel better).
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

No doubt about it, I am incredibly blessed. I have three good lakes within 10 miles of me I can fish for bream, bass, catfish; a couple of better lakes 30 - 40 miles away. I can fish for trout within about 12 miles plus the north Georgia mountains has some very good streams, one public stream is catch and release only, they take reservations but only 15 anglers per day one the 3 days they are open. I have been told the fish will break your heart and your line but you can make you photo with the fish of a lifetime.

The strap on the fin has been repaired, the lines will be cleaned, pollen is on every horizontal surface in the state of Georgia and some of the vertical surfaces. Sometimes Saturday with or without my IT buddy, I intend to be slinging line again.

Best to you Uncle Jesse on the water. My right leg is responding well. I feel like one of my male terriers, I can lift my leg!
    Good fishing, get me for me!
    Minke

You know Mike, a doughnut float tube would be a good safeguard for your wading for a while. Stay out of swift water but if you start to fall, sit down. I'm convinced float tubing in a lake with swim fins would be one of the best exercises in the world for knee surgery don't know if it would help a hip that much.

+ Reply to Thread