+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cabela's

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    PA Dave pretty much nailed my preference for the big C over B.P.S.

Of the honkin' big outdoor retailers that I can shop in person, this is how I rate them based on my expenditures.
    ( I have outdoor interests beyond fly fishing )

Cabela's, REI, Scheel's ( Takes "Best of show" every time. ), Sportsmen's Warehouse, Orvis, Sports Authority, Big 5, Sierra Trading Post ( aka: Leftovers R' Us. ) and B.P.S. still can run in the maiden races.

Dave
    Dave,
    For fly-tying J Stockard, a sponsor here, has won my heart. Their responses have been excellent. They ship quickly and have accurate order fulfillment. They let you know what is back-ordered. They have a good selection and excellent prices, every day. They also have sales. I am fond of Cabela's and BPS, but I have become a J Stockard fan.

I must admit that I have never ordered from BPS, since they have a store so close to me. I still do business there. Cabela's has good customer service and I have no complaint. It is just the J Stockard is better in that they are faster and cheaper and at least as likely to have what I want. Cabela's seems to have made decisions to rationalize based on volume, and thus no longer offer some items which I am looking for. J Stockard carries an excellent selection in a lot of the things I want. I'll still happily do business with BPS and Cabela's, but when I'm looking to put together a mail order for fly-tying materials, I go to J Stockard first then fill in with Cabela's rather than going to Cabela's first then filling in elsewhere. To be fair, a part of that decision is that I have grown tired of having to sharpen Mustad hooks before I use them. I'm even more tired of losing fish to dull hooks. Instead, I'll spend more and buy other brands and J. Stockard has a good selection of barbless hooks from other brands.

And no, I don't work for them or have any financial interest in them other than Satisfied Customer (tm)

Regards,
    Ed

I go with Cabela's for a few things. I was in the DesMoines BAss Pro one time.
    Went tot he counter to askfor help finding someting.
    Was told to wait, becasue he was talking to his friends,not about the store goods.
    Walked out and have not been back.

Rick

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Dave,
    For fly-tying J Stockard, a sponsor here, has won my heart. Their responses have been excellent. They ship quickly and have accurate order fulfillment. They let you know what is back-ordered. They have a good selection and excellent prices, every day. They also have sales. I am fond of Cabela's and BPS, but I have become a J Stockard fan.

I must admit that I have never ordered from BPS, since they have a store so close to me. I still do business there. Cabela's has good customer service and I have no complaint. It is just the J Stockard is better in that they are faster and cheaper and at least as likely to have what I want. Cabela's seems to have made decisions to rationalize based on volume, and thus no longer offer some items which I am looking for. J Stockard carries an excellent selection in a lot of the things I want. I'll still happily do business with BPS and Cabela's, but when I'm looking to put together a mail order for fly-tying materials, I go to J Stockard first then fill in with Cabela's rather than going to Cabela's first then filling in elsewhere. To be fair, a part of that decision is that I have grown tired of having to sharpen Mustad hooks before I use them. I'm even more tired of losing fish to dull hooks. Instead, I'll spend more and buy other brands and J. Stockard has a good selection of barbless hooks from other brands.

And no, I don't work for them or have any financial interest in them other than Satisfied Customer (tm)

Regards,
    Ed
    My mistake Ed,

I was under the impression that we were speaking of shops that we could frequent in person based on this threads original post, having to do with a Cabela's coming to his area and possible employment opportunities. From there, the thread as I read it, was becoming a popularity contest for the megalithic, walk-in traffic retailers. So I cast my vote too, based on those that I visit.

Hey J. Stockard can be a great resource and was one of my trusted on-line sources, ( could be again someday ) but they're not exactly a full service fly shop / pro shop. In fact I got admonished on this very site by a well known member, for suggesting them as a source to others, some months before they became a sponsor here.

It's CrAzY how attitudes can turn around, with the flow of dough.

Thanks buddy, Dave

I live about 25 min from the Michigan. Istop by there occasionally just because I'm in the area and sometimes they have an OK deal on something. I was in there last Spring and there was a obvious new fly fisherman looking for stuff. no sales person around so I end up helping him out as best I can. finally after about 30 min a sales person shows up and asks if he can help. customer says no this other guy got me. then the sales person says to me "looks like you know more than me. wanna' work here" .
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Exactly the opposite opinion here. All along the Gulf coast and in Florida the BPS all have a White River fly shop and a larger collection of equipment and tying materials than Cabela's. Can't say for stores above I-10, but I've been to every store from Houston to Islamorada.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

So far the one in Hartford, CT is doing OK. What you have to monitor is the progressive emphasis on clothing with a continuous reduction in the real sporting hardware. Without going into details, all I have to point out is the history of Orvis and L.L. Bean.
    Just follow the money .

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    So far the one in Hartford, CT is doing OK. What you have to monitor is the progressive emphasis on clothing with a continuous reduction in the real sporting hardware. Without going into details, all I have to point out is the history of Orvis and L.L. Bean.
    Just follow the money .
    There was a time when Abercrombe & Fitch was where you went to buy sporting goods, not heroin chic clothes for teenagers.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dave View Post
    There was a time when Abercrombe & Fitch was where you went to buy sporting goods, not heroin chic clothes for teenagers.
    Yeah, we have one of those here. Walked through once; big mistake.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread