Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
PA Dave pretty much nailed my preference for the big C over B.P.S.

Of the honkin' big outdoor retailers that I can shop in person, this is how I rate them based on my expenditures.
( I have outdoor interests beyond fly fishing )

Cabela's, REI, Scheel's ( Takes "Best of show" every time. ), Sportsmen's Warehouse, Orvis, Sports Authority, Big 5, Sierra Trading Post ( aka: Leftovers R' Us. ) and B.P.S. still can run in the maiden races.

Dave
Dave,
For fly-tying J Stockard, a sponsor here, has won my heart. Their responses have been excellent. They ship quickly and have accurate order fulfillment. They let you know what is back-ordered. They have a good selection and excellent prices, every day. They also have sales. I am fond of Cabela's and BPS, but I have become a J Stockard fan.

I must admit that I have never ordered from BPS, since they have a store so close to me. I still do business there. Cabela's has good customer service and I have no complaint. It is just the J Stockard is better in that they are faster and cheaper and at least as likely to have what I want. Cabela's seems to have made decisions to rationalize based on volume, and thus no longer offer some items which I am looking for. J Stockard carries an excellent selection in a lot of the things I want. I'll still happily do business with BPS and Cabela's, but when I'm looking to put together a mail order for fly-tying materials, I go to J Stockard first then fill in with Cabela's rather than going to Cabela's first then filling in elsewhere. To be fair, a part of that decision is that I have grown tired of having to sharpen Mustad hooks before I use them. I'm even more tired of losing fish to dull hooks. Instead, I'll spend more and buy other brands and J. Stockard has a good selection of barbless hooks from other brands.

And no, I don't work for them or have any financial interest in them other than Satisfied Customer (tm)

Regards,
Ed