+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabela's

Hybrid View

Question Cabela's

We will be having a new Cabela's opening first of next year. I was wondering what is the difference between them and Bass Pro. I also was thinking about applying for a job there as well and wanted to know if anyone has ever worked there.

Thanks in advance
    Jason
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

Generally speaking, and strictly my opinion, I like Cabela's over Bass Pro. Both are okay. Bass Pro is better for general fishing and boats. Cabela's is better for fly fishing, hunting, archery, camping, and clothing. Like I said, purely my opinion, based on Cabela's in Hamburg PA vs Bass Pro in Harrisburg PA. Also, I'm looking at quality, not prices. Cabela's is pricier, but usually better quality. Most of what I buy there is clothing, and my Cabela's clothing is definitely better made than anything I ever bought from Bass Pro. None of this is to say I don't like Bass Pro because I do.

I have no experience with working there or people who have worked there.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Have shopped at both and I like Cabelas best. Store has more class plus they have their bargain cove that has some real sale values. ALSO ... if you show up and you happen to be en route and towing a camper, you can setup in the back parking lot at no charge, use their facilities and eat at their sandwich shop (has a breakfast bar in the morning).

What PA Dave said, Bass Pro is more bass fishing focused, casting, spinning, etc., they also seem to have more in the boating line compared to the few Cabelas I have been too. But both companies are going to tailor their offering to the local market. The BPS at Atlanta is not as elaborate as several of the stores I have visited. The Phoenix store has a "Fine Guns" room with everything in it 5 figures or more; several have golf shops, Atlanta doesn't; some have ranges in the store; the Foxboro, Mass store is my favorite it has a 42 ft. replica of a whale and large sharks hanging from the ceiling and a real birch bark canoe for a decoration. I think you will be pleased compared to the Atlanta BPS or Charlotte for the fly shops.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

BassPro is a good mega-store. Cabelas is an extravaganza! Cabelas still have fly shops within their stores. BassPro has largely closed theirs, but still maintain limited inventory. Each of the Cabelas I've been to also has a beautiful high-end gun collection with very knowledgable personnel. It's like walking through a firearms museum with tour guide on hand to answer questions. Pretty impressive.

Blog Entries

The Bass Pro in Nashville still its fly fishing section when I was there a couple of weeks ago. They have re-arranged the area, but it is still there and about the same size execpt that waders are now in the footwear part of the store and the display seemed to be smaller.

Ed

BassPro (in Nashville) used to have a shop called White River Fly Shop (or some such). They blew that up (maybe as a result of the flood) but still have limited flyfishing stuff in the same general area. It's a fraction of what it used to be and nothing in comparison to Cabelas.

+ Reply to Thread