+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SBS section

Hybrid View

Default SBS section

Hi,
    I certainly do not want to tip boats or cause waves. I was thinking, and I don't know how hard it would be. Does it make any sense to have a section devoted to the SBS's so a knuckle head like me could surf those? Again, I don't want to make work for the people who do this. Just a thought.
    Mike

Melk,

We have had a FOTW here on FAOL for as long as I have been here. (over 14 yrs). Many of the recent posters must chose to not send them in to The Publisher and have them archived as Fly of the week flies. Personally if it were up to me, no SBS postings would be allowed, only those that were sent in to be published. I see the postings as "wasted" by not allowing we members to have them as permanent fly tying info to draw on. Just my personal opinion, not that of the Owner.
    I would encourage all posters to send their work in and have them published.
    I do really enjoy all of the recent posts of SBS but it does bother me when I know our Owner has asked many times for any of our tying members to please submit them for FOTW. I can not understand "Why Not"?

Denny

I would agree with Denny. It would be nice if the SBS were captured and not lost in the forum pages.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Melk,

I would encourage all posters to send their work in and have them published.
    I do really enjoy all of the recent posts of SBS but it does bother me when I know our Owner has asked many times for any of our tying members to please submit them for FOTW. I can not understand "Why Not"?

Denny
    Plus 1. Fully agree Denny. Asked about this a month or so ago. FOTW seem to be more FOTMonth since I have been on FAOL.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

AlanB Guest

When I do an SbS for here than it goes up as a FOTW. If you look at the list 3 of the last 6 are from me. However, it is when I do one for FAOL that I submit it. If I am publishing one elsewhere, I put it in the forum. I do this out of respect for what FAOL is. Is it right to do it this way?

One thing I have seen done on other sites is to have a a thread with links to all SbS threads pinned at the top of the forum.

Something I would find helpful are requests for FOTW. Either a pattern or a technique. Putting together a FOTW submission is not easy when you don't know what people are looking for.

Cheers,
    A.

[EDIT] May I just add, Being pblished is an honour. Being commissioned to produce a piece an even greater one. If anyone is asked to produce a FOTW of a specific pattern or technique I'm sure they would view it this way. It is the publishers saying "Your skills are up to this," and would I'm sure produce many more submissions. Maybe the proliferance of SbS posts here, and the lack of FOTW submissions is a matter of confidence in ones own abilities. A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 04-09-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Typo

I think Denny has a great idea. The FOTW would be enriched and knuckleheads like me could find SBS's easily. I hope I've only engendered discussion and not stepped on anyone's figurative toes.
    Mike

Learn to use the search function more effectively, would be my answer. The current crop of SBS's would be stymied by the FOTW format, because they have been coming out faster than that. I tend to dislike the SBS sub-forums, because it means yet-another-forum I'd have to scan. Considering traffic has been so slow here lately, I personally see no problem leaving them here, but that may be the minority opinion. And if you haven't learned to use Evernote, do so, and you'll never lose an SBS again...

+ Reply to Thread