+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Favorite Soft Hackle Pattern

Blog Entries

Default My Favorite Soft Hackle Pattern

I am trying a different dubbing on my favorite soft hackle pattern. It works well as a caddis emerger. But, if dried off with fast false casts, also works as a "primarily dry" fly when there are rises around.

I tie it on a light wire dry fly hook.
    Rib. Fine gold Mylar
    Abdomen- tight, sparse dubbing
    Thorax - soft wrap dense dubbing
    Collar- partridge
    Head - peacock

Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-08-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Blog Entries

My original dubbing material which allows for air trapment in the thorax area.

That is a very good looking soft hackle. I would expect to catch fish with it almost anywhere, almost anytime.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Nicely tied, Byron. Can you share the dubbing used? I'm referring to the fly in your second post; the fly in the first is not showing.

Blog Entries

It is Dazzleaire Antron which LaFontaine used for his pupal patterns. I cut it in half inch pieces and grind/fluff in a coffee grinder.
    The thorax area is tied with "soft" wraps.

I'm confused, Byron. Is the LaFontaine dubbing (from The Bookmailer?) your original dubbing and you've changed to something else or have you changed to the La Fontaine dubbing now?

I'm wondering WHY is it your favorite?
    Does it have any meaning for you personally?
    Is it the way it looks?
    Is it the ease of which to tye?
    Is it that you like the materials?
    Oh, have you actually fished it and have the fish any opinion - meaning, have you actually caught any trout on it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    I'm confused, Byron. Is the LaFontaine dubbing (from The Bookmailer?) your original dubbing and you've changed to something else or have you changed to the La Fontaine dubbing now?
    Sorry for the confusion, Joe. The first posting, was this pattern in a different dubbing, but I lost the photo. This second posting has the dubbing that I originally used on this pattern. This dubbing is what Gary mentions in his video by name: Dazzleaire and I use sort of a pinkish tan color strand. Gary also told me personally to use Dazzleaire for his patterns.
    I, and my buddies have caught more fish on this than any other single pattern. It is usually fished in the traditional down and across and swing method. However, it can also be "dried" by false casting and then fished as an emerged cripple dry.
    Hope that makes sense?

Interesting thing:
    I sent one of my fishing buddies this photo yesterday. Got this email from him today:

"That is the number 1 fly that you should be sure and have enough to trade me 2 dozen perfect ones for a lunch and a dinner"

Perhaps a better version of the fly:
    Although I am out of good peacock!
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-10-2013 at 09:49 PM.

FYI. As some of you may know Dazzelaire was discontinued several years ago it has been reintroduced and I'm not sure if the new product and the old product are the same product. Bryon The color of the fly the picture and your description of it as pinkish tan reminds me very much of a color in Frank's Sawyers Killer Bug. As you know The Killer Bug was tied with Chadwicks yarn from England which was discontinued over 50 years ago. It was a combination of Wool and Nylon. Upon doing a Google search I found a seller of vintage Dazzelaire. Byron Could you please enlighten us a little more has to maybe the name and dye lot of the yarn you our using, Thank you. Fishin' Jimmy

Blog Entries

Jimmy,
    You know what it's like when you visit with a famous fly tier. You ask exactly what material do you use for that Sparkle Pupa pattern? Gary LaFontaine responds "Dazzelaire". Now, I never heard of that and am no closer to getting the right material, right? Then, I ask, "Where can I get it?" He says "Well, you can get it at a Ben Franklin store". At that time, there weren't many Ben Franklin's around.

I did find it though.

There is some being sold at 10X original price on ebay now.

This is a pic of the skeins I tie from. It is multi-color. I use the "pinkish tan" part of the strand.
    Let me know if this helps.

+ Reply to Thread