+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Action for a Novice

Default Rod Action for a Novice

Thinking about taking the plunge off the deep end into Tenkara. What action would make a good starter rod?

TIA,

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Hi Brad,
    I too am a relative novice at Tenkara, I started last summer. Go to http://tenkaraflyfish.webs.com/apps/webstore/ . They have a nice selection of relatively inexpensive Tenkara rods and leaders. I purchased the 12 foot Caddis and the 12 foot combo leader kit, which is a 12 ft mono leader, and a 12 ft furled leader to which you add a 3 to 4 ft. tippet and fly. It is a 6:4 action and 3.4 oz. in weight. It's very easy to cast especially for a first timer and a whole lot of fun to fish with! The mono leader requires a bit of stretching to straighten, the furled leader not so much. The furled leader is easer to cast, but with practice the mono leader will become almost as easy. So for a small outlay ( $75.00 to $80.00) you can see if Tenkara is for you.
    Bill.
    Last edited by digipixer; 04-07-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Brad,

That is a very good question, but also very hard to answer. All rod manufactures have there own way to rate a rod. Not every 6:4, 5:5, or 7:3 is going to be the same. Some are softer and some stiffer than others in the same class. Chris Stewart sells some nice rods at decent prices. The Shimotsuke Tenkara 3.3 and 3.6 seem to be a good all around starting rod. If we knew what you are fishing for and where it could help allot. If your fishing the smoky mountains streams with tight cover the shorter rod might be your best bet. This may reduce the range of rod actions available. What type of action do you like when western fly fishing? Are you looking for the same action or different? If you could provide some more info we could better help.

Mike P.

Mike

I like the slower action rods, especially bamboo. I will be fishing for trout and panfish with the rod on medium size midwestern rivers and a few farm ponds.

Hope that helps

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Brad

I really love my Nissin Super ProSquare 6:4 4510. I would classify this as a slower 6:4 compared to the faster TUSA Amago 6:4. My Nissin is also the only rod I have broken. Both times due to stupidity and carelessness. This is the rod I used to test your lines at the derby show. It is 14'7" in length and weighs about 2.8 ounces. I ordered it through PLAT fishing in Japan. I have been able to fish this in all the retention ponds and most streams with very few problems. Just need to be aware of overhangs. All but one of my rods is rated as 6:4 yet each is a little different. The next set of questions would be a price point and length of rod. Chris Stewart or another more experienced Tenkara Angler may be able to recommend a better choice.

Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Mike

I like the slower action rods, especially bamboo. I will be fishing for trout and panfish with the rod on medium size midwestern rivers and a few farm ponds.

Hope that helps

Brad
    scorpion1971 asked the key question with his "what action do you like..."? There is a lot of choice with respect to both action and stiffness of the rods. Saying you like slower action, especially bamboo takes a lot of the rods that you wouldn't like off the table. To help narrow it further, how large are the trout you expect to catch, and when fishing for panfish do you also catch good sized bass? (There are rods that are sheer joy for panfish and small trout, but not really suitable for large trout or big bass).
    Tenkara Bum

Have not posted a comment here since 2007, however I have a simple answer. Tenkarabum offers the best information you will find anywhere. Rod reviews, flex ratings, comparison tests and a great selection of high quality Japanese Tenkara or fixed-line rods available for almost instant delivery. Very impressed with his service and reasonable prices. Chris seems to put up with my eccentric nature as well. Our community is so fortunate to have this resource.

+ Reply to Thread