+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flyfishing for Trout @ Gary Borger

Default Flyfishing for Trout @ Gary Borger

I found this video on You Tube while doing some 'vitual fishing'......... LOL.
    This is the best free instructional video I have watched. I think it was made back in the 80's,
    but its still relevent today. It is a 6 part video, so take note of that.
    I hope you enjoy it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvSDjHgo0UY
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

Ha Ha!! I rented that series back in the 80's too. It's amazing what a great video can be made when fishing private water. Somewhere in the series, he plugs the "borger color system" when tieing a baetis nymph.

Thank you so much for sharing that link. It brought a smile to my face.

I don't about private water.

Gary has told me a few stories about the filming of his videos.

I do know that some that video was filmed at $3 Bridge before they took the old wooden bridge down and replaced it with the metal span.

Gary told me the story of one day when the film crew set up on the bridge, and he was downstream getting ready for the director to start filming. That was in the days of 35mm film and it was expensive to burn film expecting Gary to catch a trout on command.

Gary was set up on a spot that he was sure held fish. So when the director called, "Action!", Gary cast and hooked into a good fish. He fought that fish for quite a while, and by the time he brought that fish into the net, quite a crowd had gathered on the bridge. It turned out to be a big whitefish, disappointing Gary, the director and the crowd.

Another time Gary and the crew were setting up at Buffalo Ford on the Yellowstone River in Yellowstone Park. Allow me to digress with a bit of a backstory. The illustrator for Gary's first two books, "Naturals" and "Nymphing," was our mutual friend Bob Pils, who was a commercial artist at Wausau Insurance Company, the sponsor of 60 minutes on CBS in the 70's.

Bob Pils taught at Gary's midwestern Fenwick Fly Fishing Schools, and Bob had two sons who are fantastic fly fishers. The younger Andy Pils was about 10 years old at the time and he was fishing at Buffalo Ford several days earlier. I've seen Andy out fish anglers 3 times his age including yours truly, and this time was no exception. Andy was out fishing and out catching everyone around him. So picture little Andy Pils and hold that thought.

Then comes the Scientific Anglers/3M film crew to Buffalo Ford. After filming, there was an old curmudgeon, who said that the film crew should have been there several day earlier to film the kid who was out fishing everyone, implying that this kid was better than the guy who they were filming, who was Gary. The old guy then asks Gary who he was. Without skipping a beat, Gary replied, "Lefty Kreh."
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Thanks for posting the link. This is great, probably the best instruction I, as a new comer, have seen on fishing for trout. I have watched the Orvis series with Tom Rosenbauer and others, and I think Gary does a much better job of explaining the how and why for the various types of flies and waters.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Those instructional fly fishing videos were pricey, about $69. 3M Scientific Anglers had a whole bunch of great videos shot in 35mm then sold on VHS format. This was before DVD's and the internet. They ran nonstop at the fly shop I worked at.

Of all the teaching videos and books that Gary has made or written, the one I would say is the best is his book "Presentation". If you find a copy at a yard sale, buy it. Unfortunately, there are no cheap copies available in the resale market. Gary self published this book and if my recollection is correct, there were only about 2500 copies produced.

http://www.amazon.com/Presentation-G.../dp/0962839256

Spanish speakers still can purchase the Spanish translation at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/La-presentac.../dp/849689925X

http://tinyurl.com/bwrwglc
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

These are excellent videos and still completely relevant for today. I have known Gary for over 30 years and I was present when some of these images were shot. Some of the images were shot on Armstrong's Spring Creek in Montana, and some of the images were shot on the Madison River. Fishing on the "private water" at any of the spring creeks should not be equated with easy angling. In fact, it can be far more challenging to consistently catch fish on the "private" waters like Armstrong's Spring Creek than it is on the public water like the Madison. Regardless of where these videos were shot they are great instructional videos for beginners and for anyone that wishes to become a more knowledgable and proficient angler.

Exactly my point..............
    This is an instructional video with some "entomology' knowledge included .
    This is not a 'fish catching' video like most of the crap on YouTube.
    If you are new to Flyfishing......... the price is right !
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

+ Reply to Thread