+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: video - Flavio

Blog Entries

Thanks Hans, will let you know.
    Whether the shuck is on top of the tail or below is different from hackling from the front or back. When completed, the hackling appears the same. When tied on top or underneath the tail will not appear the same.
    Make sense?
    Thanks,
    Byron

Am I correct in assuming this pattern tied with muted gray (natural goose biot) and muted brown would be a good generic emerger pattern? This is a more complex pattern but not great unlike the Timberline Emerger I sometimes fish behind a dry with success.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Whether the shuck is on top of the tail or below is different from hackling from the front or back. When completed, the hackling appears the same.
    Beg to differ. Yes, hackle may appear same, but it is less durable, and because material stubs are tied down at the eye the head becomes larger. There are other advantages also. Enough to make it a no-brainer, at least to me

When tied on top or underneath the tail will not appear the same.
    Doesn't it? Try viewing it from the fish point of view and tell me the diff.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Am I correct in assuming this pattern tied with muted gray (natural goose biot) and muted brown would be a good generic emerger pattern?
    The design is meant to be a generic one - just adapt size and materials to match the mayfly you wish to imitate. I just have a soft spot for the Flav - so picked that one for the video.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Weilenmann View Post
    Beg to differ. Yes, hackle may appear same, but it is less durable, and because material stubs are tied down at the eye the head becomes larger. There are other advantages also. Enough to make it a no-brainer, at least to me

Doesn't it? Try viewing it from the fish point of view and tell me the diff.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Thanks so much Hans.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Weilenmann View Post
    Ed,

The Netherlands have so much surface water, you'd be hard pressed to stand anywhere and not have some form of water in your sight.

Folks often think that most of the protect-from-flooding effort here is on preventing the North Sea from flooding the one-third of the Netherlands which is situated a couple feet below sea level. Not so.

The Netherlands are at the receiving end of two of Europe's major rivers, the Rhein and the Waal. There is a long standing, well thought out and maintained 24x7x365 operation to pump fresh water out of the low lying region.

No matter where you go, the water table is never more than about two feet down. Droughts or hose-bans are not any concern here for the Lowlanders

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Hans,
    Where I live a lot of people can't dig down two feet because they would hit bedrock. We are flood prone, too. Our floods are flash floods in which even a modest stream can rise a couple of meters in an hour. The streams also go down fast. The reseult is that some of our streams are very dynamic in their form with gravel bars and pools appearing, moving, and disappearing. Sometimes dramatic changes occur in a day or two. I suspect your floods take longer to drain. Now I'll have to worry about my "friends in low places". Still, I hope there is some good fishing for y'all in the canals, streams, and ponds.

Regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread