Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
Hans,
But if tied in the "normal" sequence, the tail fibers provide a "guide" in then trimming the shuck material - usually about half the tail.

There must be good design reasons for tying the tail fibers on first or tiers would have done it either/both ways.
I will ask Rene in June about it.
Byron,

One of the ways I spell "flytying" is C-H-O-I-C-E-S. One needs to have a choice, in order to be able to make a choice.

There are often several ways to skin any flytying "cat". I choose the ones which make the most sense to me for the materials or pattern at hand.

One simple example - there must be good design reasons why most hackled flies have the hackle wrapped towards the eye - I simply happen to disagree that this is the best way, or indeed the only way

A second example - to me it makes good sense to wrap thread once from eye to bend, and once back towards the eye of the hook, so I look for ways to simplify my steps to accomplish this.

Let's see what Rene's view is on the tail/shuck - please share once you know. My guess is that Rene, being a very pragmatic person and tier, will answer six of one, half dozen of the other.

Cheers,
Hans