+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video - Flavio

Default video - Flavio

The Flavio imitates the emerging Small Western Green Drake (Drunella Flavilinea) - commonly referred to as simply "Flav". The Flav hatch is an important hatch in the western USA, generally taking place in the months of July and August.

Flavio
    Hook: Umpqua U203 #14, or any longshank curved hook
    Thread: Benecchi 12/0, olive
    Shuck: Antron, amber; Lemon woodduck barbs
    Abdomen: Goose biot, dyed olive
    Thorax: Argentinean hare, dyed olive
    Wing: CDC, natural; polypropylene (or fine antron), grey
    Legs: Whiting Brahma hen saddle, dyed dark olive (or brown partridge, dyed olive)
    Head: Argentinean hare, dyed olive

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_3CIdFmADI

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Another beautiful fly. I really enjoy the videos, closest thing to instruction I have ever had. I am very curious about how large a warehouse you have for tying materials.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Hans,
    I really like that emerger.
    Harrop ties one somewhat similar which I used to catch a huge rainbow last summer on the Ranch of the Henry's Fork. However, it had a wet fly hackled collar.

Here is my question:
    In all the cripple patterns or emerger patterns in which I am personally familiar, the hint of a trailing shuck is tied in on TOP of the tail fibers. In this fly, you tie the shuck fibers BELOW the tail fibers. Why this deviation from the "norm"?
    Thanks,
    Byron

Well done as always.

How would people fish this? Like a dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    In all the cripple patterns or emerger patterns in which I am personally familiar, the hint of a trailing shuck is tied in on TOP of the tail fibers. In this fly, you tie the shuck fibers BELOW the tail fibers. Why this deviation from the "norm"?
    View from below is the same, and it makes for slightly easier tying (trimming the Ice Dub strands to length before the lemon woodduck barbs are tied in).

Cheers,
    Hans W

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    How would people fish this? Like a dry?
    I fish these emergers dead-drift in the film - so yes, as a dry is most often fished.

Cheers,
    Hans W

Blog Entries

Hans,
    But if tied in the "normal" sequence, the tail fibers provide a "guide" in then trimming the shuck material - usually about half the tail.

There must be good design reasons for tying the tail fibers on first or tiers would have done it either/both ways.
    I will ask Rene in June about it.
    Thanks,
    Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Hans,
    But if tied in the "normal" sequence, the tail fibers provide a "guide" in then trimming the shuck material - usually about half the tail.

There must be good design reasons for tying the tail fibers on first or tiers would have done it either/both ways.
    I will ask Rene in June about it.
    Byron,

One of the ways I spell "flytying" is C-H-O-I-C-E-S. One needs to have a choice, in order to be able to make a choice.

There are often several ways to skin any flytying "cat". I choose the ones which make the most sense to me for the materials or pattern at hand.

One simple example - there must be good design reasons why most hackled flies have the hackle wrapped towards the eye - I simply happen to disagree that this is the best way, or indeed the only way

A second example - to me it makes good sense to wrap thread once from eye to bend, and once back towards the eye of the hook, so I look for ways to simplify my steps to accomplish this.

Let's see what Rene's view is on the tail/shuck - please share once you know. My guess is that Rene, being a very pragmatic person and tier, will answer six of one, half dozen of the other.

Cheers,
    Hans

Blog Entries

Hans,
    I finally succumbed to curiousity and looked up Amstelveen on Google Maps. Not surprisingly, it looked extremely tidy. I have to wonder how far you live from the nearest canal. I noticed that most of Amsterdam Wood is actually located in Amstelveen. I presume that you have fished the canals and pools around there.
    Thanks for another fine video.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    I have to wonder how far you live from the nearest canal.
    Ed,

The Netherlands have so much surface water, you'd be hard pressed to stand anywhere and not have some form of water in your sight.

Folks often think that most of the protect-from-flooding effort here is on preventing the North Sea from flooding the one-third of the Netherlands which is situated a couple feet below sea level. Not so.

The Netherlands are at the receiving end of two of Europe's major rivers, the Rhein and the Waal. There is a long standing, well thought out and maintained 24x7x365 operation to pump fresh water out of the low lying region.

No matter where you go, the water table is never more than about two feet down. Droughts or hose-bans are not any concern here for the Lowlanders

Cheers,
    Hans W

+ Reply to Thread