+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SINGLE FOOT GUIDGES ON 9 WT

Default SINGLE FOOT GUIDGES ON 9 WT

I was considering using single foots on my next blank versus snake guides, any thoughts on this? I have heard of people using them on heavier rods but an not sure about it. I will be using the rod for stripers and large bugs for bass. I was concerned about the stress from a 20-25 lb fish.(LoL). Thanks

------------------
    Rick Schlarb
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Hi flybug--I'm not sure about wire guides, but sf ceramics will do a stellar job. We use them on our Mangrove flats and Blue Waters Series which covers saltwater fly rods from 6wt to 15wt! BE SURE TO INCORPORATE A LOCKING WRAP, though, such as Forhan's Locking Wrap featured in the "Library" section at [url=http://www.rodbuilding.org.:36e40]www.rodbuilding.org.[/url:36e40]

I've taken salmon up to 45lbs on our rods using sf ceramics, and a number of our customers have doubled and even tripled that on species in the salt.

Another consideration: be sure you don't cut any corners on guide prep--use a chainsaw file (or similar) to file the underside of the guide smooth and then run some emory over the foot and "toe" to be sure the guide won't compromise the graphite--these fish put a lot of strain on that juncture, but if you build 'em right, you'll have NO problem.

All the best!

John

G&L FlyCraft
    Art. Science. Sport. Welcome to the convergence.
    [url=http://www.gandlflycraft.com:36e40]www.gandlflycraft.com[/url:36e40]

Thanks John, I was planning to use the sf ceramics of some sort,I was just concerned about the distribution of the pressure, many thanks,Rick

------------------
    Rick Schlarb
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

No prob, Rick! I remember a long time ago asking the same question of Andy Dear and Tom Kirkman--always helps to have somebody who knows from experience weigh in, IMO.

If you're going to be using it in the salt much, and you can swing it, you really should invest in the Fuji TSG or TLSG guides--they'll last pretty close to forever and you don't have to worry about corrosion. The Forecast/PacBay TiCh plated SS guides are also nice, but you'll have to rinse them EVERY time to be safe. If you're 90% freshwater or so, the Forecast guides are a great product at a great price=great value!

You'll have to post a picture with the completed rod and one of those 25lbers!

Warmly,

John Launstein

G&L FlyCraft
    Art. Science. Sport. Welcome to the convergence.
    [url=http://www.gandlflycraft.com:01962]www.gandlflycraft.com[/url:01962]

Flybugpa , your only other concern is going to be guide size . I have 2 9wts built for stripers , both have SIC incert guides , one stainless , and the other Titanium framed . Just be sure to use running guides big enough to allow your biggest knots to pass through .Unless you will be using shooting heads , 7s or 8s for runners will suffice . You will be very pleased with the performance of the incert guides , noise reduction , line shooting , and a great reduction in line wear .
    Good luck , and have fun , JH

+ Reply to Thread