+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: There are 41 species of snakes in GA; only 6 are venomous

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    By hitchhiking on the shells of snapping turtles? Ed
    Thank you for your informed opinion Edward. Mom always warned me about hitchhikers. Although I have caught snappers out in the countryside, I had never heard of anyone finding a cottonmouth out away from water. Several years ago, I caught a snapper in my yard, got it into a milk crate and was going to take it to a creek and release it. I went in the house for a minute, when I came out it had climbed out of the milk crate and boogyed out of the yard. Of course, down where Mom lives it would have end up in somebody's skillet.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

US soldiers in the Vietnam War used to say that there are 100 types of snakes in Vietnam. 99 were poisonous, and the last one could crush you to death. The real numbers are more like 140 species, around 30 of which are poisonous, including the famous King Cobra. The danger for tourists is low, but nearly 30,000 Vietnamese rice farmers get bitten every year, mostly by stepping on hidden snakes. If you're walking through national parks or rice paddies, make sure to wear long pants and appropriate shoes; if you see a snake, maintain a respectful distance. If it has a triangular head (as many poisonous snakes do), simply leave the area. Snake bites, even poisonous ones, aren't usually life-threatening if treated quickly and properly. Don't bother snakes, and they shouldn't bother you.
    Last edited by jimsnarocks; 04-04-2013 at 03:42 AM.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Only snake I am actually scared to get bitten by here in CA is the Mojave Green Rattlesnake. Seen 2, ran the other way both times. Thank God they live in places I don't go much anymore.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Mike if you want to see one in the wild and are in North Alabama in late May or early June I can introduce you to some cottonmouths. Jimsnarocks the theory if you don't bother them they won't bother you doesn't work with cotton mouths. I had one look my way one time and go under and I left the creek and he came up where I had been standing.

Knucks

Quote Originally Posted by knucks View Post
    had one look my way one time and go under and I left the creek and he came up where I had been standing.

Knucks
    I had two converge on the point where I had been standing and casting at Camp Shelby, MS on day. Definitely not shy snakes. My late friend Pete, BAR man w/ the 82nd Airborne on D-day, no sissy, had one drop into his alumninum semi-V boat fishing on the TN River around Muscle Shoals area. Pete said "The next thing I knew I was on the bank, don't know how I got there, my feet weren't wet."

I love to wade the creeks around here but when the snakes start to show up it's time for me to quit.

knucks

You just need a stainless steel .22 revolver and some CCI snake shot.

Won't help for the one that sneaks up on you. Turned around one day and a water snake was a foot and half away with his head about a foot off the water. Glad it was just a water snake.

knucks

They learn pretty quick, they can't live off crap and muddy water.

Run across many a copperhead while fishing here in North Carolina. Just walk around them. Learned to be careful where I step though.
    Haven't seen a rattler but have heard them several times off the side of the trail...needless to say my pace quickens, as well as my heartbeat!
    Most folks here say "kill it, kill it"....they're put here for a purpose and I leave them alone.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread