+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: There are 41 species of snakes in GA; only 6 are venomous

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I lived in NC for 14 years, originally from Maine. I am not afraid of any snake, but do respect the ones in NC. Snakes in Maine scatter when you are in the area, and for the most part so do the ones in NC. The only aggresive snake I have been in encounter with (what they called) was water moccasins. Small head, fat body, light orange belly, and come after the bream and crappie that you are catching. Cottonmouths (as described to me ) were slender darker backs, white bellies, and obviously white mouths, often called Pilots down there. And they also scattered.
    So, I have this question. What were they ? Was it just what THEY called them ?
    I don't like moccasins, very hard to kill with your fishing pole, but has been done many times.

Quote Originally Posted by MSD53X View Post
    I lived in NC for 14 years, originally from Maine. I am not afraid of any snake, but do respect the ones in NC. Snakes in Maine scatter when you are in the area, and for the most part so do the ones in NC. The only aggresive snake I have been in encounter with (what they called) was water moccasins. Small head, fat body, light orange belly, and come after the bream and crappie that you are catching. Cottonmouths (as described to me ) were slender darker backs, white bellies, and obviously white mouths, often called Pilots down there. And they also scattered.
    So, I have this question. What were they ? Was it just what THEY called them ?
    I don't like moccasins, very hard to kill with your fishing pole, but has been done many times.
    Cottonmouths are the only snake I know of correctly referred too as a Mocassin, correctly called a Water Mocassin. They are the only really aggressive snake I am aware of the SE USA. I have had them swim across a lake to the spot where I had been standing and come to my boat at night. If fishing in the SE cottonmouths are justification for owning a stainless steel pistol and shotshells. I have heard one variety of rattlesnake call a rattlesnake pilot, which references say is really a type of copperhead. This photo shows a cottonmouths white mouth.
    Cottonmouth_Snake,_Gaping.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Yes Uncle Jessie. That is what they told me was a Water Moccasin, very ,very aggresive.

Hi All,

A couple of years ago I was preparing a safety topic for a safety meeting at work, and decided to study snake bites.

We kill a lot of rattlesnakes in the plant every year. Some years we may average nearly one a day in the early or late summer, and I am thinking that at times we have killed up to 20 or so in a week. Usually they are juveniles, but adults too, and one day a few years ago they killed a 3 foot prarie rattler and a 5 foot (or so) western diamond back in one spot. At any rate I thought it was a good topic for a safety meeting.

What I found from a few hours reading is that about 3/4ths of poisonous snake bites each year are to young men between 18 and 35. The bites in the vast majority of those cases are on the hands and forearms, and yes "alcohol was involved."

Makes me think that they ignored that advise to leave them alone and they will leave you alone. I would think that if you were attempting to leave the rattle snake alone that you would be unlikely to be bitten on the hands.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 05-06-2013 at 04:12 AM.

This monster was captured in a yard in Pinion Hills, CA, about 40 miles from where I live. It is a Mojave Green rattlesnake and was reported to be 7 feet long?

I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Uncle Jesse, after 66 years in middle Georgia, I can safely report that there are only THREE kinds of snakes here to be afraid of:

(1) a Live one; (2) a Dead one; and (3) an Imitation . . . and that's all I have to say about that !

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    This monster was captured in a yard in Pinion Hills, CA, about 40 miles from where I live. It is a Mojave Green rattlesnake and was reported to be 7 feet long?

Only greens I have seen have been in the California City/Cantil area, and they were seriously green. Must grow out of that color when they get big enough to eat sheep like that one must have been!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SMClark View Post
    Uncle Jesse, after 66 years in middle Georgia, I can safely report that there are only THREE kinds of snakes here to be afraid of: (1) a Live one; (2) a Dead one; and (3) an Imitation . . . and that's all I have to say about that !
    There is a guy here in the Atlanta has whose signature on the local flyfishing BB is basically “There are two kind of snakes, chicken snakes and Cobras. If it doesn’t have a chicken in its mouth, it’s a cobra.

Gotta reply because it's about snakes, and I like snakes. I have worked with, captured, photographed, and kept snakes my whole life. Had a whole lot of rattlesnake experience all over and cottonmouth experience down in Alabama and Florida. Cottonmouths are not "AGGRESSIVE" they just don't care to get out of your way, they get mad easily, and they are curious-- or at least as curious as something with a reptile nervous system can be.

The picture above looks like a pretty good size Mohave, but nowhere even close to 7 feet. It's a matter of perspective- the snake is several feet closer to the camera than the guy. I've caught and seen probably over 100 Mohaves in southern Nevada. They do not get nearly as large as a diamondback CAN get, and there is NO WAY a 7, or even 6 foot long rattlesnake could be held up like that. It would bend the catch stick.

In rural Florida, EVERYONE had a cousin, brother in law, or friend who had killed a 9 or 10 foot Eastern Diamondback, but of course no one could ever produce one. There has never been a documented rattlesnake in excess of 8 feet.

In Alabama the majority of locals had the absolute most ridiculously stupid hatred of snakes of anywhere I have ever lived. 5 minutes of common sense education would have helped immesurably but by and large everyone was so closed-minded about it that it just was ingrained and inbred into them that snakes are to be killed. Period.

There is more BS surrounding snakes than there is in Fly Fishing. And that is really saying something.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 06-18-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

The attitude of the people in Alabama is probably well reflected by the signature line of a local guy on another flyfishing bulleting board, it "There are two kind of snakes, cobras and chicken snakes. If it doesn't have a chicken in its mouth, it's a cobra!" Every since I moved to Georgia people have been telling me the best thing about Alabama is it keep Georgia from being next to Mississippi. 76% of the people in Mississippi agree.

+ Reply to Thread