+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There are 41 species of snakes in GA; only 6 are venomous

Hybrid View

Default There are 41 species of snakes in GA; only 6 are venomous

This will hold true for most of the SE give or take one or two. I kind of like the attitude of a local guy who says "There are two kinds of snakes, chicken snakes and cobras. If it doesn't have a chicken in its mouth, it's a cobra."

NON-VENOMOUS SNAKES IN GEORGIA
    1. Eastern Green Water Snake
    2. Brown Water Snake
    3. Red or Yellow-Bellied Water Snake
    4. Banded Water Snake
    5. Northern Water Snake
    6. Banded Water Snake
    7. Striped Crayfish Snake
    8. Glossy Crayfish Snake
    9. Black Swamp Snake
    10. Brown Snake
    11. Red-Bellied Snake
    12. Eastern Ribbon Snake
    13. Common Garter Snake
    14. Smooth Earth Snake
    15. Rough Earth Snake
    16. Eastern Hognose Snake
    17. Southern Hognose Snake
    18. Ringneck Snake
    19. Eastern Worm Snake
    20. Pine Woods Snake
    21. Mud Snake
    22. Rainbow Snake
    23. Racer
    24. Coachwhip
    25. Rough Green Snake
    26. Corn Snake
    27. Rat Snake
    28. Pine Snake
    29. Eastern/Black Kingsnake
    30. Mole Kingsnake
    31. Scarlet Kingsnake/Milk Snake
    32. Scarlet Snake
    33. Southeastern Crowned Snake
    34. Eastern Indigo Snake
    35. Central Florida Crowned Snake
    VENOMOUS SNAKES IN GEORGIA
    1. Copperhead
    2. Pigmy Rattlesnake
    3. Canebrake or Timber Rattlesnake
    4. Cottonmouth
    5. Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
    6. Eastern Coral Snake
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

A snake is a snake to me no matter what there called

Thanks for sharing Uncle Jesse
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Blog Entries

In terms of catching &/or playing with, I've worked my way through a fair amount of the first 35.
    Don't play with the second list.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Don't play with the second list.Ed
    You know there are people next state below you who do. Personally, I abide with snakes, we have a deal, I leave them along, they leave me along, with the exception of Cottonmouths. I dispatch Cottonmouths if I have the ability at hand.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 04-02-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Wife and I were hiking in Tennessee when a beautiful yellow phase timber rattlesnake came out of the brush on the side of the trail. We stared as it crossed the trail and disappeared in to the brush on the other side. By the time it disappeared there were several people (about a dozen) standing from both directions watching the snake. Several of us had cameras. One person asked," Did anyone get a picture?" To our amazement not one of us had.

Here in Ohio, we have just 3 venomous snakes...timber rattler, massassauga rattler, & copperhead. In all my years of fishing & as a kid going on many snake hunting adventures, I have YET to see a venomous snake in the wild. Seeing one, while they fascinate me, is NOT on my bucket list.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Uncle Jesse, after 66 years in middle Georgia, I can safely report that there are only THREE kinds of snakes here to be afraid of:

(1) a Live one; (2) a Dead one; and (3) an Imitation . . . and that's all I have to say about that !

Quote Originally Posted by SMClark View Post
    Uncle Jesse, after 66 years in middle Georgia, I can safely report that there are only THREE kinds of snakes here to be afraid of: (1) a Live one; (2) a Dead one; and (3) an Imitation . . . and that's all I have to say about that !
    There is a guy here in the Atlanta has whose signature on the local flyfishing BB is basically “There are two kind of snakes, chicken snakes and Cobras. If it doesn’t have a chicken in its mouth, it’s a cobra.

Gotta reply because it's about snakes, and I like snakes. I have worked with, captured, photographed, and kept snakes my whole life. Had a whole lot of rattlesnake experience all over and cottonmouth experience down in Alabama and Florida. Cottonmouths are not "AGGRESSIVE" they just don't care to get out of your way, they get mad easily, and they are curious-- or at least as curious as something with a reptile nervous system can be.

The picture above looks like a pretty good size Mohave, but nowhere even close to 7 feet. It's a matter of perspective- the snake is several feet closer to the camera than the guy. I've caught and seen probably over 100 Mohaves in southern Nevada. They do not get nearly as large as a diamondback CAN get, and there is NO WAY a 7, or even 6 foot long rattlesnake could be held up like that. It would bend the catch stick.

In rural Florida, EVERYONE had a cousin, brother in law, or friend who had killed a 9 or 10 foot Eastern Diamondback, but of course no one could ever produce one. There has never been a documented rattlesnake in excess of 8 feet.

In Alabama the majority of locals had the absolute most ridiculously stupid hatred of snakes of anywhere I have ever lived. 5 minutes of common sense education would have helped immesurably but by and large everyone was so closed-minded about it that it just was ingrained and inbred into them that snakes are to be killed. Period.

There is more BS surrounding snakes than there is in Fly Fishing. And that is really saying something.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 06-18-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

The attitude of the people in Alabama is probably well reflected by the signature line of a local guy on another flyfishing bulleting board, it "There are two kind of snakes, cobras and chicken snakes. If it doesn't have a chicken in its mouth, it's a cobra!" Every since I moved to Georgia people have been telling me the best thing about Alabama is it keep Georgia from being next to Mississippi. 76% of the people in Mississippi agree.

+ Reply to Thread