+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H & H Forecast 5 pce blank

Default H & H Forecast 5 pce blank

I would like to try my hand at building a fly rod and I am looking at the 5 piece Forcast blank from Hook and Hackle in a 6 weight. I was wanting your opinions on the blank and about the standard compo nets that H&H sells in their kits. I can get the kit with a video for 81 bucks.

Finding the spine worries me but some here think that it is not a big deal. I have encountered the same in graphite golf shafts and came to the conclusion it was not a significant worry.

Let me know what you think of this deal for a first time rod builder.

Dan

Blog Entries

I have not used their Kits but have used forcast blanks.
    As far as i'm concerned you picked a winner.
    I have built a couple rods from forcast blanks in 4 and 5 pc. They cast good and make a nice looking rod with that dark blue blank.

As for the spine: assemble the pieces for straightness and dont worry about the spine.

[This message has been edited by Smernsky (edited 17 January 2005).]

Hi Ozarkflyflinger, from another Ozarker. I just started my first rod build attempt with the IM6 green kit from H&H. A good product at a fair price and the service is excellent. Had a question on guide spacing for that specific blank, emailed them and had a reply back within 30 minutes. That's service! Don't think you'll be disappointed buying through them.
    Crackleback (Bob)

I'll second the choice of the Foercast blank. I've built a 4 pc blank and it's one of my favorite rods. Spine??? I've built two rods using the spine method and both are crooked. I'm building the next one for straightness. Components??? You will get "good" components in the kit H&H puts together. You might be able to spend a few more dollars and get an upgrade on a specific component, ie. reel seat, guides, etc. I can't see the video being to much of a selling point, but that's just me. Download the rodbuilding guide here on this site and you'll be fine.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

I had the same concern when I built my first rod. I asked Bob and H&H to mark the spline for me and he did. When I received the blank I then attempted to spline it and I basically came up with the same one.
    H&H are greast to deal with.

------------------
    "...sometimes there just aren't enough rocks."

Thanks guys, I just need to get up the guts to try now!

I built their Forecast 5wt 5 piece and am about to order another without glues and video in the 8wt. The components included in the kit are good the video is excellent. Building the kit is a breeze. The only thing I did not like was they sell you more epoxy then you can ever use in 10 rods. Of course after you build the first rod you will want to build 10 more... FB.

Farmer Bob,

Did you align the spine? If so how did you find it? Or did you just make it streight?

Also what tools did you use? I have a fly turner that has a chuck (of sorts) to tun the rod.

Dan

Dan I alined the rod according to the spine, just as you will see demonstrated by Garcia in the video. My blank was straight to start with. I did not need any special tools to build that kit but a rod turner is a very handy tool to have around. You can do the wraps simply by setting the tread spool in a cup on a table top running the tread through the pages of a heavy book to make all the tension you need... FB.

ozarkflyflinger57
    I've built 4 or 5 rods out of the 5 piece Forecast blank. It's a great blank for the money. I'm sure you'll be happy with the end results.
    I wouldn't worry about the spine as much as the rod being straight.
    just my .02 cents.

+ Reply to Thread