+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled Leaders

Default Furled Leaders

Ok folks, I received the Kathy Scott CD that was sent from a fellow forum member (thanks for that one. It was actually so long ago I've forgotten who it was that sent it.)

At any rate, I don't know when I will be able to craft the jig... my questions are these:

1) 10 lb mono... yea or nay?

2) Does the jig HAVE to be 12 ft. long?

3) ... should I just buy the darn things? I want something that I can beat the CRAP out of. I don't take care of my line, and I want to use it to attach some bite tippet for northern, as well as bluegill/bass/cats. Something well rounded.

4) Speaking of tying on.... with the loops on the end, what's the best connection to use when doing "tippet"? Again, my tippet is 10 lb. mono. I'm cheap. And what length?

Thanks for all the help.

-Tony
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Tony,

The jig can be any length you want. A shorter jig makes shoprter leaders. Keep the distances from the posts porportional for best results.

My 'jig' is 8 feet long, but I put a hinge in the middle so it would store easier. I get 7-7 1/2 foot leaders from it.

For attaching wire bite tippets for pike, I just 'loop to loop' onto the swivel that comes with the leader. If you don't want the swivel, cut it off and loop to the swivel loop.

For ataching mono, I use a palomar knot to the loop in the leader. Got to be careful cutting these off, but they are very strong. An Albright knot works well too, but I find those a bit of pain to tie on the water. Length of tippet is up to you. I vary it based on what I'm doing-longer for subsurface bass fishing, shorter for topwater or pike fishing. 'Long' for me is four to six feet, shorter is about two. Use what works best for you.

Ten pound mono is WAY too heavy for me to try to furl. Four pound mono gives a leader that tests around 20 pounds. That mono sewing thread works well too...004 breaks for me at about 15 pounds, .005 at just under 20.

For 'indestructable' try furling 10 pound braided 'superline'. I couldn't measure the breaking strength as my scale tops out at 50 pounds (turns out the handle breaks on a barbeque grill well below that...note to self: don't use the wifes grill as the anchor point for leader testing anymore).

I enjoy crafting things, so I like making the furled leaders. If you are as cheap as I am, then it's more fun to make them, and certainly cheaper unless you count your time.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Thanks, Buddy. Awesome pointers. I'll take that into account.

I think this is an awesome time for me to bring up another question.... a 7' furled leader with a 4' tippet is 11' off of the fly line itself. I use a 9' rod. That seems like such little fly line to make a 12' cast, doesn't it?! Am I crazy for thinking that? I do 20' to 30' on occasion, but chasing carp/cats/bass/BG, I'm not casting far. Will everything turn over, speed up, loop the way it should with - hypothetically - only 3'-5' of fly line off the rod tip?
    Last edited by adglife; 03-30-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

+ Reply to Thread