+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all I am a total new comer to fly fishing ect..

Default Hi all I am a total new comer to fly fishing ect..

I want to know how to use,create and choose flys, flyrods ect.. Any good thing shere or otherwise to read or watch .. Let me know! i am primarlily interested in using it for sunfish ect..

Welcome to the dark side.

The main page of this website has tons of info. I haven't ff for sunfish so I can't help you on the particulars, but did want to welcome you aboard and point out the main page.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hi Bigbird73,

Welcome! Be sure to go to the "warmwater" bulletin board on this site, and look through the historical posts, and you will find lots of information on bluegill fishing. Also look though the history of Rick's articles in the Features section from the home page. Lots of information there and in the lake fishing history. When you get to the point of asking questions, the warm water board and main boards are great places to do that.

Welcome and regards,

Gandolf

RUN AWAY!! NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!
    Welcome to the board. There's a bunch of helpful people here, and a few non helpful ones, to get you off to the right start. Hang on for the ride of your life!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty put it in a Nut Shell. You will have a great time at FAOL Where there are many good folks willing to help. Have a ball. jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

The secret is: You beat the water into such a froth the fish run out on the bank to escape injury, then you scoop them up in your net.

All seriousness aside, welcome to the board, bream are a great place to start and a world of fun to catch and eat without guilt. Bream are not really fussy about flies being the fish version of a teenage boy ("I think I can get that in my mouth!!!). For the foreseeable future do not let your wife, daughter, mom, sis, or other family member throw away old flip flops. Be nice to your friends who hunt anything. Squirrel tails, buck tails, all kind of game bird feathers are good stuff.

Remember there are no dumb questions, you will be hard put to come up with idea someone here has not already tried and is still using or gave up on (which doesn't mean it won't work for you.)
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I think you've gotten some terrific advise so far, so I won't try to add too much. However, as a way to welcome you to FAOL, I would like to offer you some sample patterns if you'd like. I mainly fish warm water and I focus on easy to tie patterns that catch fish. Send me a PM with your shipping address and I'll drop them in the mail to you. Jim Smith

Welcome! I reco you check out your local library for fly fishing books first. The ones by Orvis and LL Bean are especially comprehensive ones. and there's a ton of information available on the Net, including the links you'll find on the home page here. As you read them, you may have questions on things you don't understand. The FAOL forums are great places to ask those questions.

Next comes buying your gear. Go to www.cabelas.com and order a copy of their fly fishing (not fishing) catalog. They hae a wider selection of gear than most fly shops so you can see what is available to you and what it costs. If you have a good fly shop near you, I encourage you to buy there when you can. Keeping a good fly shop in business is in your best interests. There are other good catalogs and online stores where you can buy stuff. I'm recommending getting the Cabela's catalog at the start because it is so extensive. If you have questions about gear, this is a good place to ask for advice and opinions.

As you start fly fishing, you will encounter situations where you need advice. Come back here again.

I reco you start by fly fishing using purchased flies and, if you find you really enjoy it, then take up fly tying. You'll find a link to some great fly tying instruction on the home page here. It is very well thought out and was state of the art when it was done by the late Al Campbell.

FAOL forums are extremely welcoming and helpful to newbies. No question will be treated as a dumb one. You'll get more respect, though, if it is obvious that you are also putting some time into learning "on your own" when it is easy for you to do it.

Hope this helps!

Big bird, put a hook in your vice. Attach some thread and reach down to pluck a feather from your belly. Attach it at the stem and wind it forward. tie off and go fishing.

(Betty did warn you about the not so helpful people)
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread