+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi all I am a total new comer to fly fishing ect..

Welcome to FAOL from SoCal. New guy tends the fire and brings donuts. Seriously, there's a lot of good information here so just kick back and learn what you need. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I would swing by Cabelas and check out their Three Forks rod and reel combos. A 5-weight rod is what most consider for "all around" use.... kind of like a medium-light spinning rod. For panfish alone, I would suggest a 3-weight... kind of the equivalent of a light action spinning rod. The Three Forks setup comes ready to go. Reel loaded with backing, floating line, and a leader. Just add a fly and start in on em.
    Leaders: I prefer a leader/tippet length about as long as the rod I am using. Leaders are tapered.... thick where it attaches to your floating line, tapering down to whatever you like. This helps you lay everything out straight (you will hear the term "turn over"). For panfish, I like a 4x or 5x leader. Some folks will attach a short (1-2ft) piece of non-tapered line onto their leader to extend the life of the leader. This way you are cutting cheap level line each time you change flies instead of leader. This level line we call tippet. I use a small spool of Trilene XL monofilament line that most use for spin fishing. It is way cheaper than stuff labeled as "tippet" and just as good for what you are after.

Flies: panfish will try and eat most anything you put in front of them. BIG panfish are more picky. Brightly colored poppers with hooks size 8-12 are fun if they are hitting top water. Size 8-12 black woolly buggers, small minnow looking flies, and bead head nymphs in a size 10 or 12 would get you started. For nymphs, try hares ear nymphs, prince nymphs and pheasant tail nymphs.

Start with that. If you need anything, please please please feel free to give me a shout!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard.

Since even very small 'gills will swallow fairly large flies, I seldom fish anything small than size 12 flies for them. Also, make sure you have a pair of forceps, Ketchum Release tool, or something similar to help you remove the hooks without injuring the fish you wish to return.

If you are new to fly casting, I would start out with at least a 6-weight rod and line because it will be easier to cast. Remember that the rod casts the line and the line casts the fly. With spinning, baitcasting, and spincasting gear, it is the weight of the terminal tackle which drags the line out behind it. The heavier 6-wt line tends to be easier to cast than the lighter equipment you might favor when you have more experience.

Regards,
    Ed

I've never used a fly rod in warm water, but can possibly help interpret.

The rod "weight" generally refers to how much it bends in response to a pull from the end of the line - be that from a fish or the weight of the fly as you cast it. Bigger fish require higher weight rods.

BigBird73,

Don't let the others here try to make it sound like it is difficult to catch sunfish/warmwater fish on a fly rod. Here is the secret that we use here in Tennessee and I am only sharing it because you sound like a good guy:

Get a boat/canoe, a bag of chewing tobacco and a ball bat. You will not need any fly rod or flies.

Paddle the boat out to a good looking spot and anchor. Sprinkle a little chewing tobacco on the water around the boat and wait. The fish will come up and take the tobacco thinking it is a bug or food of some sort. After waiting a short spell, pick up the ball bat and get ready. When the fish come up to spit, hit them in the head with the ball bat. Now that is all that is needed.

Welcome to FAOL from Tennessee!!!! Go to the main home page and on the left top corner you will come across "FOTW". "Click" on it and you will find fly patterns with step-by-step tying instructions in pictures. "FOTW" stands for fly of the week and there will be flies and patterns for each week from 1997 to (I believe) 2011. That should keep you busy for awhile.

You have found a great place to belong here on FAOL. We believe in sharing and don't mind doing it.

PS - Try to keep the Tennessee Secret on fishing for bluegill with tobacco and a ball bat to yourself. Very few people know about it......WELCOME, FRIEND!!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Welcome BigBird, as you have probably read already, you are in for one heck of a ride! Welcome from SW Wyoming, and from one who has never fished for what you look for. OH YEA the newcomers bring the doughnuts!
    Wyo-Blizzard

It looks like you are in Burleson. So, there are several options for free introduction to fly fishing classes near you. Bass Pro near DFW airport has a free introduction class each Sat and Sun morning, the Ft Worth Cabela's also started offering classes, but I don't know their schedule. The Dallas Orvis shop will be offering their free Fly Fishing 101 classes most weekend starting in April and going thourgh June. I'm planning to help with the casting classes at several of these sessions.

And, both Dallas and Ft Worth both have very active fly fishing clubs with members that would be happy to help you get started. The Ft Worth club just announced that their annual casting clinic will be May 7. Multiple casting instructors participant and anyone that wants help with their casting skills is welcome to attend.

Good luck!

Welcome to FAOL Big Bird from Colorado ! New guy brings the beer ! Fly fishing is a delicious addiction and you will find many fellow addicts here. Explore the website and please ask a lot of questions. You may get funny answers, but you'll get answers !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

welcome from another newb. Maybe we can learn this flyfishing for panfish as the same time.

+ Reply to Thread