+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi all I am a total new comer to fly fishing ect..

Hybrid View

Default Hi all I am a total new comer to fly fishing ect..

I want to know how to use,create and choose flys, flyrods ect.. Any good thing shere or otherwise to read or watch .. Let me know! i am primarlily interested in using it for sunfish ect..

Welcome to the dark side.

The main page of this website has tons of info. I haven't ff for sunfish so I can't help you on the particulars, but did want to welcome you aboard and point out the main page.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hi Bigbird73,

Welcome! Be sure to go to the "warmwater" bulletin board on this site, and look through the historical posts, and you will find lots of information on bluegill fishing. Also look though the history of Rick's articles in the Features section from the home page. Lots of information there and in the lake fishing history. When you get to the point of asking questions, the warm water board and main boards are great places to do that.

Welcome and regards,

Gandolf

RUN AWAY!! NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!
    Welcome to the board. There's a bunch of helpful people here, and a few non helpful ones, to get you off to the right start. Hang on for the ride of your life!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty put it in a Nut Shell. You will have a great time at FAOL Where there are many good folks willing to help. Have a ball. jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

The secret is: You beat the water into such a froth the fish run out on the bank to escape injury, then you scoop them up in your net.

All seriousness aside, welcome to the board, bream are a great place to start and a world of fun to catch and eat without guilt. Bream are not really fussy about flies being the fish version of a teenage boy ("I think I can get that in my mouth!!!). For the foreseeable future do not let your wife, daughter, mom, sis, or other family member throw away old flip flops. Be nice to your friends who hunt anything. Squirrel tails, buck tails, all kind of game bird feathers are good stuff.

Remember there are no dumb questions, you will be hard put to come up with idea someone here has not already tried and is still using or gave up on (which doesn't mean it won't work for you.)
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

BigBird73,

Don't let the others here try to make it sound like it is difficult to catch sunfish/warmwater fish on a fly rod. Here is the secret that we use here in Tennessee and I am only sharing it because you sound like a good guy:

Get a boat/canoe, a bag of chewing tobacco and a ball bat. You will not need any fly rod or flies.

Paddle the boat out to a good looking spot and anchor. Sprinkle a little chewing tobacco on the water around the boat and wait. The fish will come up and take the tobacco thinking it is a bug or food of some sort. After waiting a short spell, pick up the ball bat and get ready. When the fish come up to spit, hit them in the head with the ball bat. Now that is all that is needed.

Welcome to FAOL from Tennessee!!!! Go to the main home page and on the left top corner you will come across "FOTW". "Click" on it and you will find fly patterns with step-by-step tying instructions in pictures. "FOTW" stands for fly of the week and there will be flies and patterns for each week from 1997 to (I believe) 2011. That should keep you busy for awhile.

You have found a great place to belong here on FAOL. We believe in sharing and don't mind doing it.

PS - Try to keep the Tennessee Secret on fishing for bluegill with tobacco and a ball bat to yourself. Very few people know about it......WELCOME, FRIEND!!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Welcome BigBird, as you have probably read already, you are in for one heck of a ride! Welcome from SW Wyoming, and from one who has never fished for what you look for. OH YEA the newcomers bring the doughnuts!
    Wyo-Blizzard

+ Reply to Thread