+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You Regal vise users...a ?? please.

Hybrid View

Default You Regal vise users...a ?? please.

Just curious, any of you folks use the Regal vise with the smaller, stainless steel, trout-size jaws?

How do you like it? Any pro's/cons that get to you or such?

I have a couple nice vises but would like to give this one a try also. I used to have an older Regal but gave it to my son many years ago and noticed these smaller, finer jaws.

I just like the looks of them and so I figured I'd ask around just in case anyone uses these jaws.

Thanks for any input. I just like "tools"...

Jeremy.

I cannot respond to your exact questions because most of my tying is with the standard jaws and nothing smaller than a size 14, but, I thought you might also want to check out another option from Regal. My Regal was a clamp-on style and I tried it with a base, but, found the vise stem too tall. I figured I could just cut the stem down,but, really did not want too. I saw that they make a Traveler version of the Regal with a weighted base but did not want to own 2 Regal vises. The vise stem on the Traveler is shorter and shaped differently. It looks almost like a "question mark" and I really liked the looks of it. I contacted Regal and asked them if the standard vise head, which is on my clamp-style Regal, would fit on the Traveler stem and if it did, could I just purchase the Traveler stem? They said the standard head would fit and I could purchase the Traveler stem for $35. I did and I love it!! I just thought you might want to check that option out too.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have had the Regal stainless for a couple of years, and I love it. I can tie #4 streamers, and go to #30 midges with no adjustment. It holds the small flies really well, far better than the Regal "Midge" jaws.

I have had a Regal Medallion for a long time. Good vise. I haven,t checked recently, but I believe you can by a set of jaws for midges and very small fies.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher7 View Post
    I have had the Regal stainless for a couple of years, and I love it. I can tie #4 streamers, and go to #30 midges with no adjustment. It holds the small flies really well, far better than the Regal "Midge" jaws.
    I'd like to thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.

Flyfisher7, that's just what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks to all.

I've been using a Regal with the SS jaws and the brass pedistal base for about a year and a half. I've been very happy with it. The jaws provide good access and hook holding for tying midge flies. The vise can handle smaller hooks than I can deal with.

The only negative is that there is a limit to how big of hooks you can use with it. So, I have to use a different vise for tying larger striper flies. About 1/0 seems to be about the upper limit with the SS jaws.
    Last edited by RexW; 03-30-2013 at 03:10 AM.

I've tied on a single Regal vise since 1983. Probably 200,000 flies or so. Can't get much more durable than that.

I have a Regal knock off for $60.00 and I can use any size hook with no problem. More expensive is not always the best.

+ Reply to Thread