+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thanks for nothing St. Croix!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The longer this goes on the stronger my resolve to never purchase another ST. Croix rod for as long as I shall live and make sure I warn as many people as I can about it. Word of mouth goes a long way.
    My offer to take your rods off your hands still stands. Just send me a PM and I'll reply with my address. One other thing to think about is that the problem might be that the no longer make that rod.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Carp,

The reason you don't see your rods model listed for replacement tips is becauce St.Croix change the scrim and you probably have a rod made of the older material. Thus they don't make your rods replacement tips and either have to search for one from old stock (over 3 years now) or give you a new version replacement. $75.00 for a brand new updated model is pretty darn good if you ask me. I have 2 Ledgend Ultras old scrim 9 and 10 wts bought at close out for under 300 bucks each. These 2 rods owe me nothing fishing the Jersey surf.

Tom

Allen

you have to look at what the warrenty said when the rod was bought. the current warrenty you read on line is for rods bought now, not 5 or 10 years ago. problem is, unless you kept the original warrenty statement, the company can deny what the warrrenty said back then. again this is happenening all over the industry. rod makers are re-stating the warrenty of older rods and nor honoring the original warrenty.

I own and use many St. Croix rods. I've NEVER had a problem with the company and have found them very easy to deal with. Suppose it has something to do with responding as they have been spoken to.
    If you don't send the rods to Anglerdave, you may send them to me.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

[QUOTE=hap;477152]Had a far worse deal (in my not so unbiased opinion ) with a WInston rod this past fall and felt worse about the fact WInston communicated so poorly, did so little, charged so much, and then refused to respond to my comments... And I broke the rod while fishing with a Winston pro-staffer...

Had a Winston rod break and sent it in for repair. I got a bill for 50 bucks in the mail, so I called and asked about it. Spoke to a manager and explained that there was nothing about a charge on the warranty card, to which he replied" Your right, but you have to pay the fee anyway, and we will not return the rod until you pay." This was 4-5 years ago, and have not looked at a Winston since.

I'll add my two cents into the fray. I too, had a broken Legend and was very pleased with the service and time frame. Only cost to me was the shipping for the rod. Evidently they no longer made my particular rod and sent me a new 4 piece Legend !!! On the other hand I also broke a Winston rod and (my fault and I'm not the original owner) had to pay $195 to have it repaired after many many phone calls and e-mails. After receiving the rod back it broke AGAIN in the same spot. Fired off several e-mails to Winston to no avail. So I'm now in the same boat as RHenn....I won't ever look at a Winston again. That is a shame because I really like the rods.

Bernie

My 4.5 cents. I broke the tip on my Orvis Trident last summer. Emailed Orvis, they said $25, 6 weeks, we'll fix it. Next day an email, would I like to upgrade to a Helios for 1/2 price while I waited. Being not having just fallen off the turnip truck, $25 vs $350, I'll wait thanks. 6 weeks later, a NEW Helios 5 wt. Whooa!! For $25!! Next week, my check for $25 comes back! Double Whoooa! I guess when companies change hands things change a lot the old ways are lost or forgotten or the new price of doing business. I also had a very nice experience with Ross on some spare spools. Carp, I feel for you. You figure you'll get the same service you have for years. In my experience only Beans and Orvis have stayed the course. Keep the stakes, fish em and be glad you have enjoyed them. And then there are lots of nice rods out there for replacement as needed.
    Good luck.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    ...In my experience only Beans and Orvis have stayed the course. Keep the stakes, fish em and be glad you have enjoyed them. And then there are lots of nice rods out there for replacement as needed. Good luck.Mike
    I cannot speak of LL Bean but you are dead on about Orvis. I had an issue with some waders several years ago, they went above and beyond what was expected.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread