+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thanks for nothing St. Croix!!!!

Hybrid View

Default Thanks for nothing St. Croix!!!!

Really St. Croix rod this is what you have become?
    I have fly fished for over 30 years and have been fly tying longer than that. I have had the pleasure to fish most of the gear to hit the market over that time also. I have owned rods costing over $800 and reels costing the same. I have found through the years you do not have to spend a ton to get a great rod and this is one reason I have been fishing St. Croix rods. I even used all St. Croix rods for the fly fishing guide service I owned for years and recommended the same. We used them in our casting lessons and seminars. I have spent thousands of dollars on St. Croix rods over the years and only had one break (my fault) and they replaced it without question for a 20 dollar bill. Now let?s jump to the present. I recently broke my favorite St. Croix rod a 9ft 6wt saltwater Legend Ultra rod. I went to St. Croix?s website and saw that they sell rod tips for 30 bucks shipped so I could replace the broken one I had but they did not have my model on the website so I called and asked about it. They said I could send the whole rod back and for twenty bucks or so would fix it or replace it, great?or so I thought then he asked me what happened to the rod and I answered honestly that I broke it by accident and that it was my fault. He then responds that it would be $75 bucks and they would take care of it and I still had to pay the shipping on it. I then asked about the rod tips for my rod and he said they do not have them on the website yet so just send it back and they can make me a new one. I asked why I can?t just pay you for the tip ($30) and wait for you to send it to me. They can?t do that they said and I asked why and he just said they can?t. Is this my imagination or is this just asinine? If I mail them the rod they can make the tip but if I tell them what rod I have and pay for the tip in full they will not do it.
    St. Croix pull your heads out of your ***. You just lost one of your biggest fans. I apologize to all the people that trusted my opinion on what rod to buy over the years. Do not purchase a St. Croix Rod. The customer service sucks and they do not have a no fault warranty like they did years ago when I purchased rods from them.
    I plan on selling, giving away or making tomato stakes out of all my remaining St. Croix rods and replacing them with TFO rods. I own several and love them.
    If you want a great rod at a great price get a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) rod, you can?t go wrong and they have a no fault warranty that is impeccable. The customer service is as good as or better than any.

Thanks for nothing St Croix!
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

St. Croix, like most rod companies, including TFO, ask for your rod to replace a tip. If they just sent you one, it might not fit your particular rod properly a come apart during casting, etc. Then you could come on here and rant about how terrible their section fit was.

I just broke the tip on my St. Croix legend elite. Called them up , they said that they didn't have any made up would make one it would be about 10 days. In 10 days one was at my door , no cost and didnt have to return my rod.but mine was a new rod , well I had fished about 6 times . Got broken in the boat not fishing, my fault. I guess it depends who you get on the phone at St Croix. Best service I have ever gotten from any rod company.

Except for a couple of boo rods, all my graphite are St. Croix. Love the company, rods and customer service. Since you want to give yours away, send me a OM and I reply with my address and will take them off your hands. I'll use them for youth fly fishing or raffle to raise some funds for our local fly fishing club.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    St. Croix, like most rod companies, including TFO, ask for your rod to replace a tip. If they just sent you one, it might not fit your particular rod properly a come apart during casting, etc. Then you could come on here and rant about how terrible their section fit was.
    That is possible but they offer a couple of pages of tips to be sold all I ask is for the model I have to be made and shipped just like the others. If it was that crucial then why do they offer so many tips to be sold without the rod coming back. They even have the tips for the Legend Ultra just not my model.

It shoulde not depend on who I get on the phone with Billyspey but obviously it does. Billyspey did just what I did and got just what he asked for and did not even have to pay and I was willing to pay the 30 bucks for the tip how is this fair? Take your blinders off people St Croix as it has been brought to our attention has very inconsistent costumer service at best. It should not depend on who picks up the phone for you to get proper customer service. Look I am not asking for then to do something they do not offer I just need a tip that I am willing to pay for.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Just heard from a couple others now and they say the same thing. St. Croix customer service and practices are going down hill. The post above is a perfect example.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

"I plan on selling, giving away or making tomato stakes out of all my remaining St. Croix rods"
    St. Croix won't give a rat's furry behind if you burn all your rods. You paid for them, you said you liked them (a lot). The rods themselves have done nothing wrong. I humbley suggest - cool down keep the rods but don't deal with St. Croix anymore.

Why is it that we expect to have a free rod shipped to us when we break a rod and it's our fault? Sorry, but I feel that the $75 is well worth it. It's pretty cheap to pay that for a new rod. Too many people have purposely broken a rod so that they get the newest rod out there. We are spoiled!! You break it, you bought it. If a rod has a manufacturers defect, you will find that the first time you use the rod. Defects don't grow.
    Why do we pay $600 for a new rod?? Because the manufacturer has to build in the costs of replacements.
    Carp, I'm not calling you out, I'm just stating a fact that the public is spoiled. People have to be responsible for themselves and their equipment. If I break a hammer,it's my fault and I'm mad at myself. I go to the hardware store and buy a new one and say--Be more careful!!! to myself.

St Croix almost went out of business twice and pulled it back both times. Times are hard and business is rough. We have to change our
    ways of doing business or we will be writing on here about how a good business went out of business and we don't understand why....

Randy

+ Reply to Thread