+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Zealand

Hybrid View

Default New Zealand

The wife and I are planning to take a trip to NZ. Hopefully in December of 2013, we are looking for any info that would be useful. We are thinking of just exploring when we are there. Fishing on our own if an option and possibly doing day guides or trying to meet up with fellow FAOL members that would want to share info.

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

Hello Wayne, I live in Auckland and have met up with a few FAOL'ers in NZ over the years. December can be a great time to fish, but it can also be pretty dodgy weather wise. You will need 2 licenses, one for the Taupo area (From Doc) and for the rest of the country (from Fish and Game) fish and game have some fantastic free brochures that are available as pdfs from there web site http://fishing.fishandgame.org.nz/fr...ng-new-zealand.
    The North Island should have good fishing in December, the central area around Lake Taupo can be great, lots of options in this area from Big rivers like the Tongariro and big lakes Like Taupo to small backcountry streams and lakes. In a very scenic region, set up well for visitors.
    The south Island may have a bit more problems with some streams having a bit of snow melt at that time of year, but there are always a few good ones fishable and not all streams come off the alps.
    A couple of very good books if you can find them are John Kents North Island Guide and his South Island Guide, they are very comprehensive including access points and directions from the nearest towns.
    If you are spending any time in Auckland let me know and I will do my best to make a day to take you fishing.
    All the best.
    Mike

Hi Wayne.My wife and I went there April 2011. Our 2nd day there I was picked up by Mike Thomas and Jeff Hamm for a wonderful morning of fishing, and even a little accidental swimming. I went online to the site Mike gave you, and got my license sent to me a month in advance. I still get emails from the NZ fish and game. We visited North and South Islands and saw a lot of amazing land.
    Motels are relatively inexpensive, gas was about $8.00 a gallon and the food is terrific. There is free WI-FI at every McDonald's and McDonald's are in about every town or city you go to. That was good for us to know because my wife teaches college classes online and most of the motels we stayed at charged for wi-fi.
    Rental cars are fairly cheap and small and right hand drive. Roundabouts are a hoot until you've gone through about a dozen and get them figured out. All driving is on the left side of the road.
    Auckland is only large city we saw. Well Christchurch is kinda big. Rotorua is a fantastic town. The Maori cultural center, Te Puia, is a must see. Tongariro and Lake Taupo are equally nice. I think our favorite site was Hobbiton (The Shire from Lord of the Rings) outside Matamata. Spend a lot of time between now and December on the computer planning your trip. There is so much to see and do there. You'll want to go back. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Look for an out of print book called "How to get lost and found in New Zealand". It shows up used on Amazon often. It is dated, but a really great guide book for a visit as regards the things that do not change.
    Last edited by oldfrat; 03-27-2013 at 03:42 AM.

Thanks for the info so far, love the looks of the Waihou River in the North and the Central South rivers.

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

Here is a picture of the Waihou, it is a lovely river but the trout are mostly smallish.

And again

and this is Jeff and Jim on the nearby waiomu

feel free to pm me any time.
    All the best.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread