+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your thoughts on helping others on the water?

I was fishing my local waters one day and I was midstream thinking I was all alone and enjoying the river and the sounds when I got a tap on my shoulder, scared the hell out of me. A fisheries ranger had spotted me and waded out and approached me about my license. He wanted to see if I had one, which I did. He then asked me if I was having any luck and I said no but was having a good time. Anyway he then asked to see what fly I was using, then he asked to see my other flies. He proceeded to pick one for me, explaining why. I tied it on and on the 3rd cast had a fish on. The ranger tapped me on the shoulder and said have a nice day fishing sir. A long story short, it certainly does help if you have someone experienced give you some advice as long as you're willing to take it.

Wow! That was a really great GW! The GW's here in my area have never suggested lures to me.

because there really are not many fly fishers in the areas i fish, if i see someone i make it a point to go over and introduce myself... i tie flies, and try and fish them... if i can help out another fisherman, i will...

unfortunately, i think i come on a little strong for most people.... most seem alarmed, or just bothered...

on the other hand, i was spin fishing the other day, and this nice gentlemen came down and sparked a conversation with me while i was on my way out. i gave him all the information i could remember about where, and what was hatching and when... and weather they were rising or not... to be honest, i think the water would be a better place if everyone communicated more often, i really enjoyed the conversation...

~spoof
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

I would say I usually am more than willing to help someone on the water, or have them sit down on a riverbank with me and just share stories. The majority of the people you meet on stream are good folks. About the only time I will not share much is during Steelhead season on a river that gets a lot of pressure sometimes you will have someone try to push in too close to where you are fishing. That's just rude and that is a sure fire way to get me to not share anything at all. Other than that I'm very open and willing to share.

Steve

I usually fish in a crowded area with traffic noise and kids running around. I am happy to chat with anyone who wants. There really are no secret spots to give away, the people are already there. Mostly people are spin and worm fishing so they think I am nuts and don't want to talk - - unless I am catching fish and they aren't then I just get dirty looks.

When I do get the chance to go to the mountains it is rare to see anyone else fishing and when I do chatting almost always takes place -- we are both surprised to see anyone.

Like what's already been said, depends on the person. Pomposity and arrogance are easy to spot and in such case getting the correct time of day from me will be difficult. Now, having said that, I like friendly folks so I try and be one first. On the other hand, there's my own "human-ness" to deal with - when having one of "those days" and being uptight with myself, being graciously accommodating will be difficult at best.

Pomposity and arrogance. Very powerful words, and extremely descriptive. Have you ever been fishing, and had a good to great day? The fish come easy, and it's a no brainer to hook one? Then some clown comes along and for two hours beats the water to a froth. Some how a brain damaged trout of 7 inches ends up on his hook. All of a sudden this guy instantly transforms into the Einstein of fly fishing. Walks up and down the river to let you know in Latin what bug the trout are keying on. Sometimes, thats what you look like when you throw out advice. Just because someone is struggling does not mean you are a better day in day out fisherman then they are. Once in awhile its good to keep your mouth shut.

+ Reply to Thread