+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clousering a Fly Rod?

Default Clousering a Fly Rod?

Is this true?

I have heard that certain rod makers do not honor warrantees for rods that are Clousered. That happens when the tip is damaged by being struck by a fly like a conehead or Clouser Minnow. If it breaks then or later, they can tell what happened and do not honor the warrantee.

Mike
    Bear742

While this may be how a warranty reads I have never heard of anyone being denied a warranty repair for this reason. Has anyone else?

Many rod manufacturers will actually repair a rod regardless of reason, including slamming it in a car door. Elkhorn and Redington are like this, and others too I'm sure.

jed

Most of them probably would. Loomis would probably give you a hard time (heard a lot of complaints about there warranties).

It wasn't "Clouser'ed" but TFO repaired my TiCr 4 weight after I put my big thumb where it didn't belong while unjointing the rod. No questions asked either

[This message has been edited by TxBuddha (edited 21 July 2006).]

It is called 'breaking' your rod. If it is covered against any stupid thing you can dream up to break it, you're home free. If it is only covered for material and workmanship, yer screwed.

6. Default

When using a Clouser Minnow, fish it in a size that will match your rod and turn over with a short, heavy tip leader. It will minimize nicks in the graphite. I've seen anglers attempting to "sling" not cast a heavy Clouser on a light rod with a long, light leader. This is a recipe for disaster.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

Right Les,,, but then you hear,"Hey, my 1wt can handle #6 streamers with no problem!"

Not a hijack...just courious...and a Q for Castwell....In looking at profiles...I noticed in one date registered...It said "Blank 1900"...no date was givin for this member....Just wondering what may have caused this...?

Yes, I'm guilty of looking to see who ppl are......or some details of the person behind the name...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Dear Bear,

If you really "Clouser" a fly rod the break will be unmistakeable and placed squarely in your lap.

I'd like to meet somebody that has "Clousered" there fly rod, honestly I would. In my circle that would be quite an accomplishment.

I'd also like to meet someone who has a "beadhead nick" in their fly rod.

Get casting lessons, please.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

and,,, you are going to keep this a secret, as to who it is, right?

+ Reply to Thread