Steven and others,

First I think you may bne refering to something I posted on another thread but it was Elsie Darbee Imentioned not Mary Dette.
Second, yes it certainly saves 'tying time' when you do the necessary 'prep' work. However, when you want an accurate assessment of the time you spent tying, you must include that prep time. As examples: 1)If you took your car in to be fixed and the mechanic said, "It will take a week. I have to get the parts and then install them." You ask, "How long to install?" And he replies, "Just an hour". 2)Did it take 10 years or about 2 hours for the US to get BinLaden? 3)Don't you include the planning time as well as the actual construction for the new World Trade Center Buildings in the total time line? 4)You get an order for 100 dozen Light Hendricksons in sizes 12 and 14. The buyer asks, "How long will it take?" You must include the possibility of ordering any material as well as the prep time and the actual tying to give an accurate response.
Bottom line when you ask about tying time you need to include the prep work. Yes, it certainly reduces the actual time at the vise but it nonetheless is important when tying for pay.

Some may disagree with my assessment.