+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Fish In 2013

Default Michigan Fish In 2013

The 2013 Michigan Fish-In will be held from June 23rd to June 29th, 2013. Gates' Au Sable Lodge will again be our hosts for this wonderful week of fun and friendship. Come join us and fish on the Holy Waters of the AuSable, one of the world's premiere trout rivers.

Our schedule this year will be similar to last year, with most days fully open for fishing.

On Monday, June 24th the Fish In committee will hold a "Meet and Greet"/Cookout. This event will be held in front of the Brown Trout Suite at Gates' Lodge. This is an opportunity for all attendees to put a face with a name and for new attendees to pick the Old Timers brains for the best fishing spots. The festivities will start around 6pm.Hot dogs and burgers will be served. The burgers, dogs, buns, condiments and dinnerware will be furnished. Donations to defray the cost of the dinner will be accepted, and any monies left over will be donated to the Anglers of the AuSable in the name of Rusty Gates. The Fish- In Committee asks that if possible, you bring a dish to share. Attendees will need to bring their drinks, and a chair.

If there is enough interest, a casting contest or two may be held. Dates and times TBD. Gates has a casting yard for distance events, and there is room in front of the Brown Trout Suite for accuracy type casting. These events are normally for bragging rights only, but if someone wishes to make a prize donation, they will be graciously accepted. Heckling is a requirement for these contests, so come prepared!

Come enjoy a wonderful week (or even just one day!) with fellow FAOL members. I would suggest that if are planning on staying at Gates' Lodge, you make your reservations as soon as possible, as there are only 14 rooms, and they book quickly. Excellent meals and a full service fly shop are also on premise. You can contact Gates Lodge here

There are many other lodging choices in and around Grayling. For people wanting motel type lodging, The Woodland Motel (800-966-3818 comes highly recommended, which has nice clean rooms, great rates and a wonderful staff. It's also an easy drive to Gate's for the fish-in activities.

Many camping opportunities exist around Grayling. There are several National forest campgrounds right on the AuSable River. These are primitive type campgrounds. Harwick Pines State Park is a short drive away and boasts a class "A" campground.

There are no fees for registration or attending charged by FAOL. Those attending are entirely responsible for making their own reservations and arrangements. Cost is dependant on where one wishes to stay and what you choose to eat.
    If you do plan on making it to the Michigan Fish-In 2013, drop us a PM and we will put you on the I'm going list.
    Last edited by Kaboom1; 04-06-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Over a thousand views and no one is coming to the Fish In? May I ask why?

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Almost 2,000 views on the "Gathering" thread with 4 replies!!

Looks like we'll have 9 or 10 for the cookout. That will be a nice group. I can pick up a jar of Muscadine Jelly for a casting contest prize

"Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated." -- Mark Twain, (paraphrased)

That being said, I have been toying with making the trip this year. Business has been abysmal this year, but I'm now drawing Unsociable Insecurity, so there's SOME money coming in to pay the bills. If I make the trip I will be doing it on the cheap and pitching a tent somewhere to keep costs affordable. Gas will be the greatest expense, and if rain is predicted I'll be passing on the trip. Being older and somewhat wiser, I won't intentionally camp in the rain.

I'll update as the time gets nearer to the date. I do have my nephew's wedding on 6/22, Field Day with the ham radio club on 6/23, and would be coming up on Monday if I'm going to be there.

Have not fished much in the past couple of years, so it would be good to get together with the old crowd to see how all of you have aged, and to drink some of Marco's good hooch. I still have all the flies from 2 years ago, so there's nothing I need to buy or tie. A couple of Wooly Buggers in different colors should do the job for a few days of fishing, and some bread for the "Bread Hole."

Hope y'all are taking care of Allen OK. He's an online foodie friend, and I sent him a bunch of stuff to get started tying. I hear he's turned into a real junkie at the vise.

Peace!

Joe
    KD8PFB (for any hams out there)
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe, I will look forward to seeing you again and hope we see each other at the fish-in!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Brad; It looks like we are up to 10 + for the cook out. Need to hear from Chefy yet.

Well, it's official... I will be coming up on 6-24 with my old traveling companion, Tom Warmington. Probably stay for 3 or 4 days. We both determined it's time to get out of Dodge for awhile, and can't think of a better bunch of folks to spend a few days with fishin', eatin', drinkin', tyin'-n-lyin'.

In case anyone is interested, I am selling my Fish Cat 4 Deluxe float tube, complete with double acting pump and fins. I bought it from Cabelas in June '09, and used it less than a dozen times (mostly at Wakley Lake at Fish-Ins). I've got about $350 into it, and will let it go for $200 obo. I can bring it to the Fish-In, but only if it's a sure sale. I still have the original box. It's the newer model with the D rings so you can use 1" web straps to put it on your back to pack it in to places like Wakley very easily. I did that several times. If you're interested drop me an email at jvalencic at gmail dot com

See y'all in a few weeks.

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I'm not going to commit. if I do make it it will either be early in the week or right at the end. that's the last week we have to work until mid August and the boos can be a stickler on taking time of that week.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Got a note from Josh today and the lodge is full up for the week of the fish in. He put me on the waiting list, so we'll see what happens. Made a backup reservation at the Woodland so at least we have a place to sleep. Maybe I'll stay out of trouble being at the Woodland...NOT!!!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread