+ Reply to Thread

Thread: furled leaders

Hybrid View

Question furled leaders

I need to be brought up to date.
    1. What are the relative merits of mono versus thread leaders?
    2. How do you choose a length?
    3. What are the problems or advantages of the tiny rings used for simplifying changing tippets?
    Thanks.

I will give you my thoughts and they are just that and probably will not answer any of your questions, but, I am sure that someone more knowledgeable than me, will chime in soon.

1. A Furled Leader made from, lets say 2 pound test mono, can be fished just like a thread leader. The thread leader will be more limber than the mono. A thread leader needs to be allowed to dry out before storing in a case so that it will not mildew. I have made Furled leaders from Coats & Clarke 100% Nylon Quilting thread and feel they work identical to Thread leaders and are limp like thread. Mono leaders may have more stretch then thread.

2. I feel the length of a Furled Leader is just a personal thing. I use a 6' Furled Leader on my 4wt, 5wt, 6wt and 3 wt. These rods are all either 8' 6" or 9' in length. I do have one 5wt in 8' length that I am going to make up a 5' Furled leader for because I usually use at least 5' of tippet and on the 8' rod, I have to bring the Furled leader into the tip top when landing a fish and feel a 5' leader would allow me to keep the leader out of the rod tip. On my 7wt for smallmouth bass fishing, I intend to try a 4' Furled leader and only about 4' of tippet because I make my Furled Leaders from Berkley Vanish Tranistion which really sinks quickly and turns my floating fly line into a mini sink tip.

3. Since I do not use the small round metal rings on my Furled Leaders, I cannot respond to this question with any negative or positive responses. I use a Shorb Loop on the butt end and the tippet end and do not see any problems with changing tippet. I always put a perfection loop in the end of my tippet and attach it to the tippet end of my Furled leader with a loop-to-loop connection and I have no problems with changing out my tippet.

Hopefully, some of the above helps......

Keep in mind that your questions are like a lot of questions that will draw many different opinions because each fly fisherman fishes different from the other. Some only use very small dry flies and require a different furled leader for their style and some, like me, only fish streamers, buggers, wet flies and nymphs and my choice of a furled leader will be different. I guess you will have to sort through the responses and pick out the answers that fit your style of fly fishing.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 03-25-2013 at 04:13 AM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

To add to what Warren has stated. Furled leaders have little or no memory so you don't have that nasty slinky hanging off the end of your fly line. A furled leader can be cast just like a fly line increasing accuracy. Mono makes a more aggressive leader than thread and will turn over larger fly's. One complaint about the loop to loop connection is the tippet loop closing up making it hard to change tippets. Furled leaders will last at least a season if not more, you only have to change tippets to match conditions. Both thread and mono leaders can be treated with floatant to keep them on the surface, the mono will just have to be treated more often. If you would like to try one pm your mailing address to me.

I fish exclusively with furled leaders, and in regards to the tippet changing all of mine have a tippet ring making it very easy to change.

I have to disagree with Warren on the thread leaders. The material that I use does not rot or mildew. Just crank it on the reel after a days fishing and no worries. Ray, if you want to try one, PM me youe address, and I will send you one to try.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Brad,
    Are you going to set up at the Buckeye Bamboo Bash May 4th?
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

+ Reply to Thread