+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Fast? How Many?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    LOL! I'll defer to your math because I really don't .............................! (again LOL)

Regardless, he tyed those flies at a very fast speed ..... Beep Beep!

Allan
    I am confused enough to have a degree with majors in Math and English Lit...
    art

Meaning of a quality that could be sold in a shop.
    Oh, that part I know! It's tying the flies at a rapid rate, and still keeping them "saleable"!! Don't think I'd get near as far as those tyers!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

If they wanted it to be a psychological test, they cold have made the standard "gift grade" flies and let the tyers pick which of their flies were good enough.
    But that's a whole different thing.

Ed

I figured since they gave them a box of 100 hooks, that's about how many flies they tied.

Me I bought two boxes of 50 about September and still have half of them left.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Hi Hap - Would you please clarify your method of mathematical calculations? If I do something that yields 100 widgets and you do that same thing and your effort yields 150 (same widgets), then you are producing at a rate of 1-1/2 times faster then I did (100 x 1.5 = 150). Another way of saying it is: You're doing that action 150% faster then I am.
    I believe your calculation yielded 115 widgets because you've multiplied my result by 2.5 which is a 250% increase. Bad! Here's yet another example: On a perfectly straight unending road you're driving your car at 60 mph for 1 hour. Therefore, you travel 60 miles in that hour. John drives his car at 1-1/2 (1.5) times your speed over that same road for the same time. How fast was he driving and many miles did he travel?

Spoof - Elsie Darbee said that a 'professional' speed for tying Catskill dry flies is something like 12 an hour. That sounds about right.
    Maybe this will help.
    • If he tied 50% faster than you and you tied 100 flies, then he would have tied 150 flies (100 + 100 x .50 = 150)
    • If he tied 100% faster than you and you tied 100 flies, then he would have tied 200 flies (100 + 100 x 1.00 = 200)
    • If he tied 150% faster than you and you tied 100 flies, then he would have tied 250 flies (100 + 100 x 1.50 = 250)
    Using your math above saying that he tied 50% faster would yield 100 x 0.5 = 50 (again assuming you tied 100 flies). Well, obviously that can't be right because he tied more than you. If he tied 50% faster then he tied 150. So if he tied 150% faster, it has to be more than 150.

Don't worry about it though. Almost everybody gets this mixed up.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Ahhhh, very nicely done, Allan! That is keeping at it even if the kid kicked your butt!

As a long-time technical writer, semi-mathematician, and curmudgeon; you did hit one of my pet peeves! If he tied 1 1/2 times faster than you he would have tied 115. He did tie 1 1/2 times AS FAST as you and that is noteworthy in and of itself.

The fly currently in my Nor-Vise has about 6 hours in it and has been completely restarted several times... So I am trying (and tying) the other end of the spectrum... I expect to get it done this evening... And have two more to do for a presentation box. And I spent the afternoon building the block I will turn it from.
    It's one of mine too!
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread