+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Congo Hair

Default Question about Congo Hair

I have noticed that a product called congo hair (by the tyer) has been used in some very nice flies presented here over the past month or so. My question is.....what is it, who makes it and where is it available? Is it a saltwater type material that is being used for panfish flies or what? Please inform me as I have not seen it offered in any of the catalogs I receive. Thanks in advance. Gerri

I have just recently started tying some saltwater flies with congo hair. It is very similar to the Puglisi product, EP Fibers, but much less expensive. It is a synthetic hair that is slightly kinky. The only place I know where you can buy it is Flytiers Dungeon, an online site.

Ted

I cannot answer all your questions, but, here is where it can be purchased and maybe the Web Site will offer some suggestions for it's use and may answer some of your other questions:

http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Gerri,

I believe it's polypropylene, although I'm not 100% sure on it's chemical makeup; sheds water pretty well. Lots of uses - baitfish patterns (salt or fresh), underwings, parachute posts, synth Wulff/Trude wings, spinner wings, twisted (Serendipity-like) bodies, etc.
    As Ted and Warren said, Flytyer's Dungeon sells the stuff. Although I've had few problems dealing with him/them (?), customer service is spotty at best, shipping will probably be a bit slower than what you're used to, and communication is not a strong suit. Great product, great price, just don't expect it in a hurry.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-18-2013 at 02:49 PM.

A quick google showed it here...

http://www.dougswisher.com/fly_tying_materials.htm

Congo Hair is great stuff. The prices are not inflated like some highly advertised brands.
    And we should not be too critical of the service. Remember, the "Dungeon" is a "one man show" not a big mail order house..
    I have no interest in the business other than being a well satisfied customer.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 03-18-2013 at 06:43 PM.

MFC Widow's Web is basically the same. They're both hot-dyed poly yarns. The hot dye gives them their slight crinkle.

I believe Congo Hair is actually produced by the wholesaler Rumpf. We don't work with them much but maybe we can change that...

+ Reply to Thread