+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pfluger 1494 reel repair

Hybrid View

Default Pfluger 1494 reel repair

I have an unmarked Japanese made reel that looks identical to a Pfluger 1494 inside and out. It has a plastic spring cam which has broken. I'm pretty sure the 1494 parts will work and I can order a new metal cam, but to install it I will have to remove the bracket which holds the drag adjustment screw to thread the screw through the new cam. It is riveted to the reel body with two tiny rivets, and I'll have to reuse it and the rivets as I don't see where I can order these parts new. Has anyone done this and have any tips for me? Or am I missing something and there's another way? Thanks...
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Try pfoot once they up and running or email them.

https://www.onepfoot.com/Products.ph...age&category=1
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

If you're going to try it, I would buy both the spring cam and the drag adjustment screw, as they could have different threads between the knock offs and the pfluegers. Then just pry up the clip that holds in the break adjustment screw with a flat screw driver a little and you'll be able to unscrew the brake adjustment all the way. Once you have the new parts in place just tap it down. Although these reels are cheap enough you might come out ahead just buying a new one. I have three 1495 reels and one knock off and not one part that I've tried is interchangable. (I tried frame screws and spools.)

Here's a good source for the parts, and for $3.27 for both parts it's probably worth it. But I'd certainly price an American made Medalist just for comparison before I spent anyting rehabilitating a clone. Unless it has sentimental value.
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/pfl...78_186747.html
    Last edited by ColdPass; 03-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.

If you do a search on http://www.fiberglassflyrodders.com there is a bit of information there.

I found this reel in a pawn shop in eastern Oklahoma hooked to a 9' 5wt Fenwick HMG that had no end plug in the reel seat and two mismatched guides put on with sewing thread. The reel was frozen nearly solid with gunk, held a level line with no backing onto which was tied a long hunk of monofiliment, and at the end of that was about a size 2.0 hook shoved through a big rubber spider with a couple of legs missing. They wanted $15 for the rig; I think I got it for $10. My repair guy replaced the guides, I made an end plug for it, and for a long time it was one of my fanorite rods. I cleaned the reel up but never used it, but I figure any reel that lived through that deserves 4-5 bucks spent on it to see if I can keep it operating .
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Done and done. Thanks to Coldpass for his tips on bending the tab and also on buying both the cam and screw in case they weren't compatible. The old reel is now fully operational, and hung back up on the wall where it probably will stay! I guess I'm anal, but I hate having things around that don't work, even if I never use them..

+ Reply to Thread