+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming fishing invitation

Hybrid View

Default Wyoming fishing invitation

Hey all.

I'm "new" to the BB as "paflytier", but have been on in years past as "schuured". Unfortunately, for the past several years my "have-tos" have trumped my "want-tos" to a large degree.

Any way, I'm going to be in Jackson, WY for a conference from the evening of July 31 through August 4th this summer and fully expect to steal away some time for fishing. My meetings will be from 8-12 each morning and I'll have the afternoons free. My wife is coming as well, but she has granted me permission to fish on one or two afternoons. So, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Is there anybody out there that lives (or will be vacationing) in that area at that time who would be interested in joining me?

2. Is it worth hiring a guide for 1/2 day out there? There is so much water, I'm sure I could find a spot to wet a line. I just don't know if I'd be wasting my time without a guide.

3. There are plenty of other posts on this BB about guide recommendations, so I don't think I'd need a recommendation, but would be open to any that you have found to be worthy of exceptional commendation.

4. There are still nearly five months before this trip. I expect I'll be doing a good bit of tying between now and then. Any recommendations for what to tie for Jackson in August? I'm imagining terrestrials for sure, but don't know about other bugs.

I think that's it for now. It's nice to be back on the BB after a long absence. This is still the premier spot for great FF conversation.

Ed

I do not live or fish in Wyoming, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

First, leave your wife at home and fish every day after the conferences! Thats a no brainer.
    Second, hire a guide for the first day you are there. I am sure he will point you to places other than where he is guiding you. Pick his brain. Bet you get in to a bunch of fish. Good luck, and have fun.

Ed,

Most of the wading I've done on the big river has been south of town and that was in October. Pretty water, nice fish and they weren't particularly choosy; I'd imagine you'd have some company. Don't know that you'd need a guide, although they'd get you to water you wouldn't have access to on foot.

Regards,
    Scott

ps - welcome back to the board

Blog Entries

Wyoming has some very strict trespass laws when it comes to who owns the river bed. Some places you can wade some places you can not. Check with a local fly shop, you don't want to get arrested for trespassing. Sort of spoils the mood.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Check with Jack Dennis over in Wilson, just across the river from Jackson.

Be a bit more positive, Boys!!

If you want to stay close to Jackson, try Flat Creek! Open 1 Aug -31 Oct, some good fishing can be done (C&R). Head north of town (just past the edge of town),on HWY 89 ... I think?, there's a parking area, right side of the road look fast!, climb over the elk fencing, hike across the field, and WOW! some of the kewlest waters around! If your wife doesn't want to fish with you, there's an art gallery across the road, west, of the elk ladder.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

The trespass laws are for dry ground. The waterways are considered public property. It does tend to cut down on where you can go behind a bush and relieve yourself though.

Betty has some good suggestions. Just ask at the visitor's center or one of the fly shops. They will be happy to point out lots of public access water.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

Kevin,

Normally I won't dispute someone else's statement, but when it comes to legal matters and the possibility of violating a law, I feel I must respond.

Wyoming treapass laws are very strict and the landowner does in fact own the bottom of the river.

Download the Wyoming Game & Fishing book and go to page 5. There are two articles that very clearly state this.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme...IDE0000393.pdf

Betty,

I am not trying to be a downer, I just wanted to point out that in Wyoming you really have to take care of where you are. They have some fantastic fishing and great fighting fish. I love fishing the North Platte River. Our guides had to be very careful about where they were before dropping anchor, because even that is trespassing if you are over a piece of private land waters.

Ed,

There is a book The Wyoming Angling Guide published by Fothergill & Sterling. It is a fantastic source for fishing info and has great maps showing the rivers and various public access points.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Larry,
    Ed said he'd have a couple afternoons off to fish. I didn't think he'd be hauling self all over christendom, or Yellowstone, to do some fishing. Flat Creek, through the Elk Preserve, is excellent, though tricky, fishing, and an incredible way to spend a few/couple afternoons/weeks. It's right outside the north end of town. I fish Wyoming almost exclusively now (we all know there are no trouts in South Dakota!), and am somewhat familiar with the rules and laws. I wouldn't send Ed, or anyone, on a wild goose chase laced with broken laws and regulations.

Ed, and anyone, venturing in to fishing areas they are not familiar with, need check through publications, and official sources, the rules and regulations for the area they will be in. Quite frankly, if you want information once there, the fly fishing stores prove to be very little help. They don't like to give any info out on the waters, UNLESS you're going to hire a guide for at least the full day. Doubt me? Just ask them! Snide and surly are descriptions that come instantly to mind. And for heavens sake, don't ask them which flies are working!! (from your boxes).
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thank you all for the input and information.

I will certainly be looking into Flat Creek, Betty.

Larry, thank you for the head's up on the trespass laws. I'm going to look into that book this evening.

At this point I expect to have two or three evenings to fish. I think I'll probably hire a guide for one 1/2 day (afternoon) and probably head out on my own thereafter. I know it's still six months away, but man am I excited!

Ed

+ Reply to Thread