+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wyoming fishing invitation

Ed,

That time's gonna fly; it'll be here before you know it. By the way, bring your A-game if you're going to fish Flat Creek; season opens August 1 so the fish won't be as wary as later on but they'll still be tough.

Regards,
    Scott

If you want to spend not quite an hour on the road head for Star Valley. I used to live there, outside the small town of Thayne. Head south out of Jackson and turn west at Hoback junction. Or you can fish the Hoback right there where it meets the Snake or follow it on south and fish it. Hoback is only about 8 miles south of Jackson.

You'll be going through Wyoming's Snake River Canyon and there are places to pull off to either fish or just take in the scenery. It's about 23 miles through the canyon. You'll come out in Alpine. Turn left on Hwy. 89 and it will take you all the way through Star Valley. Less than a mile after you turn onto 89 the Grays River Road will be on your left, next to the Bull Moose if I remember correctly. That will take you up the Grays. All Bridger Natl. Forest except for about 160 acres at the Box-Y ranch. You could go all the way to Murphy Lakes and fish them but I never cared for still water. If you stay down, (south), through Star Valley the Salt River will be on your right. Nearly its entire length through the valley is a walk-in area and there are several places to park. You can "trespass" I think it is either 10 or 50 above the high water mark. The landowners are paid by WFG to allow tresspass. Several of the tribs are also walk-in areas. Willow Creek, Crow Creek, the short section of Jackknife that is in Wyoming, and maybe Strawberry creek. Those that feed from the east all head up in Bridger and most have forest service roads that are vehicle accessible. Salt River is right on the Wy/Id line and those creeks from the west are in Idaho often in less than a mile and sometimes in a few hundered yards. I never had much luck on most of them anyway, except Jacknife which wasn't bad. Still I always bought a non-resident Idaho license when we lived there. Heck, Idaho was two miles from the house. It's pretty much out of your way for this trip but in the future you might keep in mind Smiths Fork and LaBarge Creek way south of Star Valley but still heading in the Salt River range. But carry a big handgun....there's griz there....and in the Grays....no matter what WFG says.

sage is mostly right in his description of trespass laws in Wyoming. The water itself is public property but the bed beneath the water belongs to the landowner and as such one is technically, legally trespassing if you drop anchor, wade, or beach a boat for lunch. I never worried about it because living there, there was so much unfished public water and so many walk-in hunting and fishing areas trespass was the least of my concerns. As such I rarely fished the fabled waters. Didn't need to. But those things and places take time to learn and time to get to.

I never fished Flat Creek when we lived out there. It was over an hour from my house and in that hour I could be on some really wilderness waters whcih I preferred anyway. Or I could head over and fish the Hoback for a while then drop over the divide to the south and fish the New and Greene. Flat Creek has an excellent reputation and an equal one for being difficult to fish. Betty has fished it in the past and knows infinitely more about it than me. I THINK it is only open in August north of town. Is that right Betty? And through town I believe it is only open to youth fishing...or it used to be.

I think it would be well worth investing in a guide for 1/2 day. You would at least have the experience of doing what we've all seen on TV and read about. Plus, you would certainly be put on some fish and not have to concern yourself with anything but casting and presentation. They're going to know what they're hitting on and probably have an ample supply of them. Or tell you ao you can at least purchase some. An outdoorsman cannot live in that part of the country for very long and NOT meet and get to know at least a few hunting and fishing guides. Most I met and got to know were serious about their work, conscientious and usually friendly. Again, I would recommend Jack Dennis over in Wilson. I know that's the second time I've mentioned him. I never met Jack and wouldn't know him if he walked up and handed me a $100.00 bill.....which is very unlikely...lol! The guides I knew well, I worked with two during their off season, both worked for Jack. They were good guys and if I happened to be up in the Hole and stopped by Jack's I was always treated in a friendly manner. They knew I wasn't there to hire a guide...why did I need to? The Orvis store in Jackson never treated me with the same friendliness. There was an....attitude....you can feel the second you walk in the door. That's all I'll say about Orvis in Jackson. It didn't reflect my experiences at other Orvis stores. But then Jackson is entirely about two things, money and tourism. I had not the one and was not the other.

If you don't catch one fish you will enjoy your trip. The scenery alone is worth the tariff. In the years I lived there I never tired of the scenery in that part of Wyoming. It was as close to heaven as I will get in this life, not Jackson, but definitely outside the Hole.
    Last edited by 4590Sharps; 03-28-2013 at 11:24 AM.

And now to add to this..... think about an afternoon/evening trip WITH THE WIFE to Granite Hot Springs for a nice, refreshing soak in the hot springs pool. Granite creek is good fishing and so is the Hoback river. South on 191 until you get to where Granite creek enters the Hoback river, then ten miles up the dirt road to the pool parking lot.
    I feel this is part of that country that really should not be missed!!
    Wyo-Blizzard

Wow! That's a lot of great information. I'm really excited about the trip. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. You've all been very helpful. I get the feeling that the options and choices are nearly overwhelming. I could easily get there and be paralyzed with indecision regarding which river to fish. I continue to consider a 1/2 day guided trip - if for no other reason than to be able to focus on the fishing and not have to make any other decisions. I also think I'll spend some time on Flat Creek as Betty suggested, mostly because it is so close and will have just opened up during my time there. I'm pretty used to fishing gin clear, slow spring creeks here in PA so I hope my presentation skills are up to the task.

If by any chance any of you happen to find yourselves in that neck of the woods between 7/31 and 8/4 I'd be happy to spend some time on the water with you. Drinks afterward are on me.

Ed

...I've found it more than worth while, in a new area, to hire a guide.

I will be in southern Idaho the last two weeks in July. When? where? are you plannning this fish in?

+ Reply to Thread