+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Almost, but not quite there

Hybrid View

Default Almost, but not quite there

first time through on a golden stone something or other; probably not how the final product's gonna look but it's a start

Regards,
    Scott

For an extended body stone, I like the Rogue Stone Fly. I prefer Rainy's open cell foam (evazote?) for these because the closed cell foam just does not float as well when you start binding into segments. Just a suggestion, and YMMV.

Been tying a bunch of Rogue's in golden and salmonfly; was looking for something to change things up a bit. Can't say I've had many issues with the craft foam, but if I notice any problems with floatation I'll look into the Rainy's product; thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
    Scott

AlanB Guest

I like that, I've no use for it here but lovely fly.

I'd look at your hook choice carefully. That looks like a TMC 200r or similar. I'd be tempted to use a larger size "standard" shank curved hook. Two reasons, I've had trouble hooking fish with the long shank hooks, and I've heard the same from others; Also the larger gape will give more of a keel effect when the fly lands.

I may just shrink it and change the colour for an imitation of our larger caddis flies.

Cheers,
    A.

Alan,

I'm not a big fan of the TMC 200r either, although my complaints are with the smaller sizes; this fly's tied on a Dai Riki 280 and I've had pretty good luck with them. If you tie up some of those big caddis, please post some photos; love to see them. Btw, got the inspiration for this fly from a pic posted over on Westfly; just made a few mods.

Regards,
    Scott

AlanB Guest

Suppose I'd better dig out some foam then! If the hook works for you then great. I had some (may still have somewhere) some VMC hooks shaped like a 200r in size 16. They look great, but are next to useless. Lots of takes to flies tied on them, not one single hook up.
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread